Board logo

893 Blade Swap
phil_far - 18/10/14 at 12:21 PM

Hi guys
I am seriously thinking of swapping my faithful most reliable 893 Blade with a 'faster' engine. The car has run faultlessly for the past 4 years covering close to 4000km and the only incident was a cooked rectifier which i replaced with a 2004 model.

I have a couple of questions which have already put forward by others:

1. What alternatives should i look for i.e Blade 1000RR, Busa, ZZR1400 etc..
2. I do not intend to do a lot of track days partly because we do not have any in Malta so its mostly for road miles
3. What are the ancillaries i have to buy once i change from carb to injection?
4. What would be the estimate cost of the whole package?...engine, ecu, dry sump, exhaust etc..

Last but not least : is it really worth the hassle and do you really feel the difference when you factor in the total cost?

Cheers
Philip

mark chandler - 18/10/14 at 04:33 PM

We covered this a few weeks ago, if you plan doing this you need replace with a much more powerful engine or you may be disappointed.

Of course you could shove on a turbo for Busa power without the hassle, my car was transformed when I did this.

[Edited on 18/10/14 by mark chandler]

Matt21 - 18/10/14 at 04:55 PM

I was the one asking about this last week.

I came to the conclusion that its cheaper to sell the car and buy one with a more powerful engine.

lets say your car is worth £7500 as it stands
cost of adding a busa engine, £3500
total layout £11000
If you sold the car, youd probably get £8-9000?

so your better off selling yours, then paying an extra £500-1500 for a busa car already made, save yourself £2000+ and the hassel

jossey - 18/10/14 at 05:07 PM

As above a lot of people have spent a huge amount of money to gain extra power.

The busa costs a bomb with the post engine buy mods...

What about a turbo for yours...

Different diff.

What are you trying to achieve with the upgrade? Acceleration/ top speed etc.

If it's not for track days you can achieve one of these with a diff upgrade...

Matt21 - 19/10/14 at 06:21 AM

mark, and info you on your turbo kit?
was it for a 893 or 919? (or are they both the same?)

power increase?
price?
what bits are needed?

Thanks

phil_far - 19/10/14 at 01:14 PM

All
Thanks for your response. A couple of clarifications/questions:

Selling the car does make financial sense but i have built the car form the ground (took me 10years) and i don't know if i actually have the guts to od it...its like your kids.....don't know if i ma being too emotional...but i guess you got the point.

So the next most sensible option is turbo my current engine which i have put into consideration as well...at around 2400GPB you would get a nice kit from Holeshot (if its still in production) and what about reliability and setting up using carburettor is always a bit of a compromise...in other words i don't want to spend the money unless i am certain...

Which puts me to the next question: A turbo bade would equal a standard Busa in terms of power or a little bit more. The initial capital outlay is also close to a Busa engine ...so does it make sense to change to a Busa and then maybe continue to develop it form there on?