Board logo

dog box needs cush drive?
Bob C - 1/10/03 at 11:46 AM

Hi
bike engines have dog gearboxes(?) To use these to advantage you need some resilience in the drivetrain. Is this fact? Could I use a couple of rubber doughnuts in one of the props instead of UJs? what have other folk done? Information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob C

MK9R - 1/10/03 at 01:31 PM

Some people do some people don't. Personally I have not used one as i heard a horrible story that you loose power!! Mines not on the road yet so can't comment on using it, but i have been in a blade bec with a solid prop, there is a little clonking but nothing awful.

I'm sure some other more enlightened people will come along in a bit, so i'll shut up

[Edited on 1/10/03 by MK9R]

Spyderman - 1/10/03 at 03:51 PM

The use of donuts in your propshaft should not cause a loss of power.
All they will do is to absorb some of the shock loads that a bike gearbox creates.

I have not heard that you would need resilience in the drive train. You may need more pressure to engage the gears though.
I think the resilience idea may have come from the need to remove backlash or free play from the gears.

loafersmate - 2/10/03 at 07:24 AM

I drive with a solid prop, as said before there is a bit of clonking but it's not bad.

Cheers

Ben

Bob C - 2/10/03 at 08:47 AM

Cheers - I'm worried that if I use donuts I may have trouble balancing the prop - though fords use 'em on propshafts don't they- at the gearbox end??
Bob C

benedict - 2/10/03 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loafersmate
I drive with a solid prop, as said before there is a bit of clonking but it's not bad.

Cheers

Ben
[music: twilight zone]
I'm also Ben.
I also Drive with a solid prop.
I also find there's a bit of clonking but it's not too bad.
[/music]

Cheers,
Ben(edict)

PS
While Donuts indeed should not cause a loss of power, if you eat too many you may find it affects your power to weight ratio
(Well someone was bound to say it eventually )

loafersmate - 2/10/03 at 04:31 PM

Wierd!!........................is your's blue too?? (the car that is)

benedict - 2/10/03 at 10:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loafersmate
Wierd!!........................is your's blue too?? (the car that is)
Ah - No, It's orange (the car ) Wouldn't like to say about anything else, probably depends on the weather

Cheers,
Ben