Board logo

DP1 alternative body
sean951 - 2/10/05 at 05:09 PM

im shure allot of people on this forum keep up with the progress of the DP1 as i do. just checked out his site today to see if there were any updates, and saw this.
its an alternative body for the DP1 styled by a man named Ian Wilmoth. his site can be veiwed here. what do you guys think of it? i think its amazing. looks like what people in the 50s thought we would be driving now. i hope he goes through with a few alternative bodys for the DP1 once he has the car sorted, and i hope thats one of them! heres the site for DPcars if you havent checked it out yet.

kb58 - 2/10/05 at 06:47 PM

Expect to pay ~$60K for one.

akumabito - 2/10/05 at 06:56 PM

Hah! I lost that link, thanks for posting it again.. man, what a machine... just crazy..

Don't like that new body concept though.. nope, not at all...

robinbastd - 2/10/05 at 08:28 PM

Lime jelly on wheels.

Ian

JoelP - 2/10/05 at 09:59 PM

bugger i just spent 4.5 hours reading that site.... i followed your link just after you posted it

sean951 - 2/10/05 at 10:13 PM

lol, good way to spend 4.5 hours....i saw his price quotes, i honestly thought it was going to be more. i dont know how well it will sell though. doesnt really fit into to many racing groups. allthough it would make a really fun trackday car, that might be all you can use it as. but man what a car.

tadltd - 3/10/05 at 11:00 AM

ribbit

Alan B - 3/10/05 at 12:27 PM

WTF??????

I really admire what Dennis has done so far, but I don't think that is the way to go...it's just far too controversial IMO.

[Edited on 3/10/05 by Alan B]

chrisg - 3/10/05 at 05:03 PM

Boy is that ugly!

Looks like a wax model of a car that's been in the oven

Cheers

Chris

sean951 - 3/10/05 at 08:20 PM

Ok...so i guess its not to everyones taste. i like it, but i guess im just weird like that . allso no one said it will ever be made, i would think of it as a piece of CG art. chances are it will probly stay that way too. but i think there are some good styling points, maybe the vw beetle headlights arent the best.

JoelP - 3/10/05 at 08:50 PM

i forgot to say, i love it. I doubt a real version of that would have the brilliant paintwork though

sean951 - 3/10/05 at 09:00 PM

good, so im not the only one. the paint would be hard to pull off, and i think it just wouldnt look the same in the flesh.

derf - 4/10/05 at 12:41 AM

It looks great as an styling exersize, but it is butt ugly, imho. I love the actual DP1 styling, and am convinced that should I ever build another car I will try to build a DP-esque racer

ceebmoj - 4/10/05 at 07:03 AM

Hi,

Followed the project for a while and I quite like the modifications the guy has come up with to the existing body

See this thread for a discussion about it and some sketches http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?p=27373#27373

I had been looking forward to seeing what came next but that is just ugly. I like the idea of a plain styled cot pit canopy but the rest is just wrong imho

cymtriks - 4/10/05 at 09:53 AM

There is another alternative shape on the dp site somewhere which looks like a 21st century update of the classic late 50s and early 60s sportscar shape.

I like it!

One thing that I'd love to know is how much it would cost to have your body plug CNCed out of hard foam as he does. It seems like a fast way to get to an accurate shape with minimal final finishing. Take into acount hourly rates and this is probably cheaper than the traditional hand carving route.

Volvorsport - 4/10/05 at 10:40 AM

i know a company in wiltshire that does it - they prototyped the nissan skyline for the jap motor show in 2002 ?, cant remember now - i did some minor things like wheel arch covers and such like - i can dig them up if you require it .

the guy who owns the company designed the MR2 way back .

i remember some of the top guys who worked there were on £25/hour for modelling - so perhaps its not that cheap .

I think also they did the plug in a mixture of clay /foam .

sean951 - 4/10/05 at 11:08 AM

i like the sketch, really smothes everything out. the cnc buck was very expensive if i remember corectly. he compared it to the price of a new porsche 911 i think.

Fred W B - 4/10/05 at 11:46 AM

I actually asked the company that did the DP buck for a quote for a buck my company needed, and it was a silly amount of money. I'll try to dig it out

cheers

Fred WB

[Edited on 4/10/05 by Fred W B]

JoelP - 4/10/05 at 05:43 PM

'twas indeed compared to the price of a new 911, twice what he had expected (i read it just the other day!). Whats that, £50k or more?

cymtriks - 4/10/05 at 08:28 PM

Where are the costs on the dp site, I've looked and can't see them!

I've sometimes wondered how different ways of making a body cost out for a home build.

Caterham had an alloy body made up for the C21 which they then took moulds off. Apparently someone thought that this worked out cheaper than making a buck in the usual meerkat/labala way.

Then there is the dp cars shortcut to a near-finished buck, cutting out hundreds of hours of hand shaping.

Thinking about it, real car maker do it more along the lines of dp so perhaps he's right...

All thoughts and any costing for different methods welcome!

JoelP - 4/10/05 at 08:42 PM

enter main sight, click on the picture of the dp1, then on the number 1 at top right, then on the link called 'initial design stage'. This leads to 12 pages, within which the making of the buck is detailed I cant give you a link because the url doesnt change.

near the top of page 5:

quote:

In other news I'm dealing with sticker shock on initial quotes for body plug and moulds, about double what I expected (think brand-new Porsche 911 territory). Trying to look for ways to make this cheaper. I will probably end up doing quite a bit of hand labor myself, using the vendor's facilities. Sigh... it's never easy

he implies that that price includes the mould making as well though, he does some of that work himself.

[Edited on 4/10/05 by JoelP]

Alan B - 4/10/05 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks
Where are the costs on the dp site, I've looked and can't see them!

I've sometimes wondered how different ways of making a body cost out for a home build.

Caterham had an alloy body made up for the C21 which they then took moulds off. Apparently someone thought that this worked out cheaper than making a buck in the usual meerkat/labala way.

Then there is the dp cars shortcut to a near-finished buck, cutting out hundreds of hours of hand shaping.

Thinking about it, real car maker do it more along the lines of dp so perhaps he's right...

All thoughts and any costing for different methods welcome!

Simple really...real car makers have little time but lots of money..

Steve and I have almost no money...therefore we have to go the high labour route....but with the labour being our own....bingo....low cost..

kb58 - 4/10/05 at 09:06 PM

Having a CNC gantry mill shape his buck cost him about $20K.

I'm guessing the first finished car is costing him $120-150K. Of course he only has to sell a few to recoup that.

[Edited on 10/4/05 by kb58]

Peteff - 4/10/05 at 10:31 PM

No, he has to make a few and sell them, different kettle of fish I think. Like computer chip firms the developement cost is huge for the first one and then it's all down to production costs.

sgraber - 5/10/05 at 04:19 AM

I think DP's car is in a class of it's own, especially for the individual effort. It's my sincerest wish that he makes a fortune.

I really like the second body design, but the original one is great too.

I sometimes wonder if I had the money (or the risk taking nature); would I hire someone else to do the work? Can't say really. Don't have the money!

How about you Alan, would you build your own or pay out to have someone do the labor from your design?

Rorty - 5/10/05 at 05:33 AM

I love the green concept body. Absolutely sensational!
I don't care for the original look; it's like so many other GT type cars. Thay look like they've all been made using foam blocks and with no imagination. Everything from the Radical to Mk's Indy look identical, boxy and boring.

Fred W B - 5/10/05 at 08:52 AM

I have also been thinking of subbing out the mould making only to a pro, once the buck is done.

What I do find though, on subbing out stuff, is that no matter how carefully you spec the job, if often turns out not to be exactly what you wanted.

Talking about DP cars, he's doing a hell of a job, but I'm interested to see how well the car works "out of the box". It's okay doing everything in cad, but when you actually bolt the bits together, the fits and clearances sometime just don't work out, even at the professional level. New cars require lots of development, so he may have to fiddle with the project until it works well.

I have said before here that it never ceases to amaze me the number of new kit or turnkey cars that are launched and orders taken, on the strength of a few drawings, before a car has even turned a wheel in anger. I'm not referring specifically to DP here, his stuff does look well engineered

Cheers Fred WB

[Edited on 5/10/05 by Fred W B]

andkilde - 9/10/05 at 03:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B

What I do find though, on subbing out stuff, is that no matter how carefully you spec the job, if often turns out not to be exactly what you wanted.
Cheers Fred WB

If you read through the whole site he refers to this fairly often -- Items coming exactly to print that need a bit of tweaking to make up for minor miscalculations.

He also notes that many of his tight clearance items fit perfectly once assembled, just as the 3d models predict.

Marvellous watching a project this sophisticated evolve into a finshed product.

Cheers, Ted

Alan B - 10/10/05 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
I have also been thinking of subbing out the mould making only to a pro, once the buck is done..........

Fred, ironically, the mould making is relatively quick and easy...it's the buck/plug that is hard and time consuming.....

sgraber - 10/10/05 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

...it's the buck/plug that is hard and time consuming.....

Oh Reeeeallyyy?!

Now you tell me....

Alan B - 10/10/05 at 06:12 PM

Didn't want to let on Steve......you know...just in case...

Comparitively speaking the the post plug satges are truly joyeus....orgasmic nearly...