Board logo

handbrake placement
mk85 - 11/9/14 at 05:43 PM

Am in the process of building my mk and looking at different positions for my handbrake. I really want a clean looking finish and wondered if anyone has fitted the handbrake down at the drivers leg on the side and if this would pose any problems

greed1 - 11/9/14 at 07:16 PM

I suck mine on the passenger side just next to the gear stick. Easy to reach and doesn't get in the way this was post iva but as long as you cover the edges I can't see why it wouldnt pass

handbrake
handbrake

handbrake 2
handbrake 2

HTH

Slimy38 - 11/9/14 at 07:28 PM

The car that used to be the MK HSR has the handbrake right under the steering wheel cowl, sitting horizontally with the pushbutton facing outwards. It's completely out the way, still IVA ok but the transmission tunnel stays untouched. The cables run over to the transmission tunnel and then follow the normal path. I'm thinking of copying that approach, seems like a good idea from an aesthetics point of view.

Mercedes use a similar below-dash idea (although I think it's a little more complicated than 'just' a handbrake).

Andybarbet - 11/9/14 at 08:22 PM

How about a dash mounted one like they have in the Toyota hilux ? I always thought that was a neat solution.

OliilO - 11/9/14 at 09:51 PM

Mine sits on a plate recessed in the tunnel. So when the handbrake is off, the lever is below the level of the tunnel top, seems neat enough to me without adding in any extra complexity of longer cable runs etc.

JC - 12/9/14 at 04:59 AM

ISTR the Lotus Esprit had one on the drivers sill? The early Ariel Atom did too, and that's where I have put mine. I should be able to tell you about any problems in 10 years or so.....

mcerd1 - 12/9/14 at 07:57 AM

in most dax rush's its under the steering wheel (can't find a pic right now though...)

loggyboy - 12/9/14 at 08:59 AM

The striker has it as standard in the passenger well.

Strangely I didn't like the look of it there, so moved it to the tunnel!

Slimy38 - 12/9/14 at 11:43 AM

Bottom post of this thread shows a drivers side handbrake;

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=157043

This is a Dax Rush, albeit LHD;

http://daxrush.wordpress.com/

I did post the specific picture but it's huuuge. So scroll down about halfway.

[Edited on 12/9/14 by Slimy38]

The Black Flash - 12/9/14 at 02:14 PM

Put mine vertically in a recess in the dash:

Was a bit of a faff though, but it's brilliant when driving. It all depends on how you can get the cable to run really.