Board logo

Alternator help
Bass1st - 18/4/10 at 01:08 PM

I ran out of electricity and it seems like my alternator has failed. My car has an old Lucas ACR 17 / 18 unit that is very large and heavy. Any suggestions for an alternative that will do the job and save me some weight before I order a replacement?

clairetoo - 18/4/10 at 01:11 PM

I just helped Alex (omega0684) fit a Daihatsu alternator to his Pinto - that was tiny !

Edit - one of these

[Edited on 18/4/10 by clairetoo]

britishtrident - 18/4/10 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bass1st
I ran out of electricity and it seems like my alternator has failed. My car has an old Lucas ACR 17 / 18 unit that is very large and heavy. Any suggestions for an alternative that will do the job and save me some weight before I order a replacement?

Provided you can fix the old one for pennies. The brushes cost £2.00, the voltage regulator pack about £6.00 and the two take only 5 minutes to fit. And if in the unlikely event you need a new rectifier it cost about £ 7.00

Most common cause of Lucas ACR no charging faults is just arcing burning the rear blade connectors -- clean up with emery board and crimp in or renew the female Lucar connectors in the plug.

blakep82 - 18/4/10 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by Bass1st

Provided you can fix the old one for pennies. The brushes cost £2.00, the voltage regulator pack about £6.00 and the two take only 5 minutes to fit. And if in the unlikely event you need a new rectifier it cost about £ 7.00

Most common cause of Lucas ACR no charging faults is just arcing burning the rear blade connectors -- clean up with emery board and crimp in or renew the female Lucar connectors in the plug.

would still be as large and heavy though. he wants a smaller lighter one

Bass1st - 18/4/10 at 07:20 PM

Got a new one from ebay for £42 delivered.. this will do for now!