Board logo

MOT question
clairetoo - 6/10/12 at 08:11 AM

I'm just checking over my Mx5 before this mornings MOT - and now have a question
There is no fog lamp fitted , allthough there is a foglamp switch ?
Further investigation shows the high level brake light has been re-wired as a fog lamp , with an extra switch (which illuminates when the light is on) It only works with the lights and ignition on , so appears to be wired correctly .

Thing is - is this OK ?

Peteff - 6/10/12 at 08:27 AM

The position of the light is tested as well so if it's in the middle or to the right it should be o.k. Does the switch have appropriate markings or a label ?

Macbeast - 6/10/12 at 09:02 AM

I don't think a lamp at high level would pass. It certainly wouldn't pass IVA

Min height 250
Max height 1000

[Edited on 6/10/12 by Macbeast]

Mark Allanson - 6/10/12 at 09:13 AM

he hi level brake lamp if fitted must work as a hi level brake lamp, which it wont.

Universal foglamps are a tenner and will take 30 mins to fit and wire.

clairetoo - 6/10/12 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I don't think a lamp at high level would pass. It certainly wouldn't pass IVA

Min height 250
Max height 1000

[Edited on 6/10/12 by Macbeast]

I checked the MOT manual , and theres nothing about height in there - but it is OK as it is just 850mm to the center .
Theres no label or markings on the switch - I'll just write on a bit of masking tape for now , but I am thinking I should re-wire it through the Mazda switch (and maybe fit a proper fog light , maybe to cover the redundant exhaust cutout in the bumper )

rusty nuts - 6/10/12 at 09:39 AM

Might pay to point the switch out to the tester, If he finds the normal fog lamp switch doesn't work he won't waste any time looking for another one?

mtechmatt - 6/10/12 at 10:18 AM

I would fail it...

A high level brake light must act as that...

Unless permanently disconnected... (as per the manual...)

Matt (I dont do much testing anymore, but I think thats right!)

clairetoo - 6/10/12 at 11:03 AM

It passed on the fog light (switch was no problem , since I sat in it for most of the test !) but...........it failed on a badly leaking rear shock - that was fine before setting off for the test

Anyone got a rear shock for a Mk1 Mx5 they dont need.........................

britishtrident - 6/10/12 at 12:07 PM

Whatever shock you buy I would suggest don't buy KYB ---- I have just replaced one after less than a year.