Board logo

1800 silvertop lowered sump
richyb - 11/8/09 at 07:22 AM

after too many scrapes over speed bumps etc. my standard sump has worn through and i have a big pool of oil. any ideas for a cheap option or someone good at welding a lowered sump ? - they are £220 plus vat on the scholar engines site

thanks

fatbaldbloke - 11/8/09 at 07:47 AM

Remember there's a bit more to doing it properly than just cutting the bottom off and welding a shallower bit back. In the Mondeo the engine is transverse and the sump baffles are set to cope with oil surge accordingly. As you turn the engine round for a longitudinal installation the baffles don't work so well and need positioning differently. If you reduce the capacity of the sump by making it shallower, and don't change the baffles, there's a good chance you'll starve the engine of oil under vigorous driving. That's why the Scholar/Dunnell sumps appear to be so expensive, there's more work than you would imagine, including a cut down and repositioned oil pick up pipe, plus the cost of research and design to reposition the baffles etc.
IMHO, unless you really know what you're doing there is a risk of it being a false economy to mod your own sump.

r1_pete - 11/8/09 at 08:10 AM

I have a blacktop 2 peice sump spare, the pan on this is steel and I understand several people on here have modified these successfully.

The alloy part incoperates the windage tray so you need to remove the tin tray in the silvertop, and the double ended main bolts.

Someone will be along shortly who's done it and explain further.

[Edited on 11/8/09 by r1_pete]

mad4x4 - 11/8/09 at 11:35 AM

Tiger do a short zetec Sump.

UncleFista - 11/8/09 at 11:55 AM

If you supply a sump, Deneo on here modified ours, lowering it and adding extra oil capacity to make up for it. He did a cracking job for not much cash