Board logo

Tuning Pinto's ???
splitrivet - 24/9/03 at 03:11 PM

Hey up guys ,have I been dreaming it or is there a book by David Vizard on tuning the Pinto engine.Reason I ask is its coming up to my birthday and I have to do a list of things the family can get me (beats socks I spose)but no bookshop has heard of any such book,thought it was a haynes manual but could be wrong (I normally am).
Bob

rell - 24/9/03 at 03:27 PM

Save your mony look at the puma racing website loads of good info

nick205 - 24/9/03 at 03:59 PM

Your right there is a David Vizard book on SOHC engines

Publisher: Fountain Press
ISBN: 0863430856

You can get it from Amazon or order it from Waterstones.

Also check out:
How to modify and power tune Ford's SOHC Pinto engine by Des Hammil

Both books are very useful and inexpensive.

As mentioned above the articles by David Baker on Puma Racing which are excellent and free.

HTH

Nick

macspeedy - 27/9/03 at 01:45 PM

There is another tuning book which is easier reading by Des Hammil

Isbn 1-903706-10-6
its called "how to power tune Ford sohc"

accident - 28/9/03 at 12:20 AM

ive got a book called "so ive spent a ton of money on a pinto and now i want a good engine"

JoelP - 28/9/03 at 10:59 AM

i was thinking that the best way to get more power was to upgrade the whole engine, get something more powerful. Didnt bother saying it cos you wanted present ideas, and asking for a V8 might be a little ambitious!

Viper - 28/9/03 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by accident
ive got a book called "so ive spent a ton of money on a pinto and now i want a good engine"

If you can't say something constructive why say anything?

chrisg - 28/9/03 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by accident

So the pinto's not a good engine?

I think you might be outnumbered for a start!

What's"good"?

Cheap - yes, sometimes free
Plentiful - yes, most Sierras have one
powerful - can be

We'd all like a zetec or a toyota but when this is supposed to be a "budget" hobby, then I think the pinto does quite well.

Cheers

Chris

zetec - 28/9/03 at 07:41 PM

Would agree with the above if you don't intend to start tuning. I was told to get 150-160bhp I would end up spending just over £2K, which is the same if not a little more than the cost of fitting a 165bhp zetec. If you are intending fitting webers and reconditioning a Pinto the cost cannot be any different to fitting a non reconditioned zetec as they are as low as £300 in good condition. Stick with the to standard Pinto and carb and you can't go wrong, if you want more power check out the other options.

Viper - 29/9/03 at 06:56 AM

"Stick with the to standard Pinto and carb and you can't go wrong, if you want more power check out the other options."

or buy motoring news and look through the ads, there are often sorted pinto's for very little money.

accident - 2/10/03 at 12:13 AM

in standard form ie the no money option then i suppose the pinto is no worse than its contempararies.
and 20 years ago it was a good choice for tuning.
but times have moved on and now there are so many lighter,more powerful(in standard form)better on fuel,cheaper to modify and generaly better.
i cant imagine a situation that would make me think"i'll use a pinto"for my next build.