Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse trike - bolt on motorbike frame
Swiftyds

posted on 14/6/20 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse trike - bolt on motorbike frame

Hi

Anyone know if it’s still possible to register a reverse trike on the V5 (modified) for the bike frame if you design the trike frame such that the entire bike frame/swingarm/wheel and engine are removable such that the bike can be converted back?

I know this used to be allowed by Vosa/DVLA and was similar in process to how you do V5 changes for a rebodied car but the last post I can find about a similar topic was back in 2013 and I know a lot has changed since then.

I don’t have an issue going for MSVA if that’s now required but would be good to know if anyone has tried to do the bolt on frame (I understand you have to design the frame such that the headstock is bolted from the bike frame and there is no welding between the trike frame and bike frame) approach and successfully registered their bike using the V5 as a reverse trike on original reg.

Many thanks

designer

posted on 14/6/20 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Been done for years, and still being done: https://www.2rike.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 14/6/20 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a great idea!
Swiftyds

posted on 14/6/20 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - already spoke to one of the designers of 2rike but they are telling me they went though MSVA with the prototype?

Are you aware of any other similar builds that have recently been registered without MSVA?

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/6/20 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think there's two factors here -

1) Can you insure the machine? yes you can, send them a picture explain what it is and get it covered just perfectly

2) Will the DVLA be a pain in the backside if you ask them, probably...

The question is does the DVLA's point of view matter? Personally I could not care less what they think but I'm sure others will tell me how immorally wrong I'm being, so I say

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.