Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice needed for a newbie
austin man

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Built 2 MKs and yes there is some fiddling but nothing major, MK can supply everything for the build including engine and ECU for the 160 bhp zetec set up. As Paul F says you can build a good spec MK for £6500 and it will hold its price. Caterhams and Westfields are nice cars and a good spec but when youve seen one you've seen em all IMO. Good thing about MK, MNR, GBS Locost and other home builds is you can make your car as Unique as fast as you want it. More chance of individuality with one of the 7 Clones.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Wheels244

posted on 31/12/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Save yourself a load of grief and buy my MNR

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=145138

theduck

posted on 1/1/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, this is sounding better again... So if, for example, I bought a 1989 2.0 DOHC Sierra as a donor, how much on top of the cost of the donor car would you expect it to cost me to build the car? Allowing for all new consumables, so pads, discs, belts etc. Any servicing level of work I am confident with, so thats not an issue, its just the modifying of parts that has/had me worried, and the additional costs because of them.
eddie99

posted on 1/1/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the money to afford it, judging by your posts, Westfield is what you want!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theduck

posted on 1/1/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Eddie, if I had the budget now for a Westy, I'd have bought a westy. As I dont, I am looking at my other options, but obviously comparing to the simple/easy options and working out if its worth delaying my build longer.
neilp1

posted on 1/1/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Tiger Avon already built with a 2lt zetec in it for under 5K. It did need some odd jobs doing, but I learnt a lot. I never fancied building one until I bought this one!

Now I have bought a Tiger Avon chassis, a sierra 2ltr dohc (which I will break next week) + other parts I have gathered over the last few months. I intend to start builing straight after the sierra is stripped.

My advice would be to buy one already built and you will learn a lot. Then maybe you could build one by sourcing parts yourself as this adds to the fun and you can build it the way you want it!!

Neil

Hellfire

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Depending which engine you fit, there may not be a lot to modify. Most manufacturers will do all the necessary modifications required on the propshaft, steering column, steering rack and uprights etc as part of the kit. If you stick with a standard engine that others have fitted, then the chances are that most people on here will have done the modification you need to do and will be able to advise what is required and the best/cheapest way to get it done. It's all part of the fun when building a kitcar.

When you've finished building it you may have spent 10K but it will probably outperform a Caterham costing 3-4 times more.

BTW, what engine are you thinking of fitting? Ever considered a bike engine?

Phil

theduck

posted on 1/1/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Want to do a straigh single donor sierra first, so the sierra 2ltr. Then once I've got used to that/want to upgrade who knows...
RK

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Building a kit car always starts out with the following:

1. You see a Caterham or original Lotus 7 somewhere, either in pics or in person
2. You get excited when you find out you can buy a "kit" and build it for cheaper than a fully built one, and you can choose the spec, AND it will go faster and handle better than ANYTHING

Ends up as: (my own experience only)

3. You find out how much it will really cost, and go with MK or whatever, thinking you're saving money
4. Order the clone kit, find out you have to think a bit and buy a lot of stuff for it you didn't plan on.
5. You learn a lot. A LOT; things you can't learn in any course you could take at the local college.
6. You spend a lot more than you planned originally.
7. Regret spending what you did, and think it will never work. And why didn't you listen to SWMBO?
8. Get some proper helpers/moan on here, and let them encourage you to finish.
9. Accept the costs and the frustration, and realise you BUILT YOUR OWN CAR and the rest is forgotten.

You don't get much out of things if you know everything in advance. I wouldn't want to do a bolt together car anymore (not that there''s anything WRONG with the Cateringvans and Westies), and I started out pretty useless. Now I can't wait to go modify what I've done already!

ps. your kit maker and people on here know everything you will ever want to know about these cars, so don't be afraid of being in the dark - you won't be for long.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by RK]

Wheels244

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Building a kit car always starts out with the following:

1. You see a Caterham or original Lotus 7 somewhere, either in pics or in person
2. You get excited when you find out you can buy a "kit" and build it for cheaper than a fully built one, and you can choose the spec, AND it will go faster and handle better than ANYTHING

Ends up as: (my own experience only)

3. You find out how much it will really cost, and go with MK or whatever, thinking you're saving money
4. Order the clone kit, find out you have to think a bit and buy a lot of stuff for it you didn't plan on.
5. You learn a lot. A LOT; things you can't learn in any course you could take at the local college.
6. You spend a lot more than you planned originally.
7. Regret spending what you did, and think it will never work. And why didn't you listen to SWMBO?
8. Get some proper helpers/moan on here, and let them encourage you to finish.
9. Accept the costs and the frustration, and realise you BUILT YOUR OWN CAR and the rest is forgotten.

You don't get much out of things if you know everything in advance. I wouldn't want to do a bolt together car anymore (not that there''s anything WRONG with the Cateringvans and Westies), and I started out pretty useless. Now I can't wait to go modify what I've done already!

ps. your kit maker and people on here know everything you will ever want to know about these cars, so don't be afraid of being in the dark - you won't be for long.

[Edited on 2/1/11 by RK]

Those are some of the wisest words I have read on here

franky

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
You can also think about getting a more modern donor car too. Focus/BMW e36-46/Mx5/S2000
theduck

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
RK - About right up to the stage I am at, although I first saw a Westfield (As I said, I am very local to their factory) when I was about 7, and was told then that it was a kit, and loved the idea ever since. I then went out in a Caterham round Milbrook in the summer, and then I was well and truly hooked!

Franky - Am looking at going with the Sierra first as it gives me an all in one donor and 'should' go back together without too many problems. Also it means that in the future when I upgrade the engine, I have all the bits that I would be looking to use, as I have already been recommended using Sierra gearbox for future builds. I have excellent contacts in the world of motorsport, but they aren't exactly local.

I have been speaking to one of the contacts I do have who is more local to me and found out he is rather handy with a welder, so I have someone who can do the bits I cant that is local!

Guess my next step is to get myself to Autosports show in a couple weeks. Depending on getting the time off work, looking like I will be going on the Friday.

theduck

posted on 3/1/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
So if, for example, I bought a 1989 2.0 DOHC Sierra as a donor, how much on top of the cost of the donor car would you expect it to cost me to build the car? Allowing for all new consumables, so pads, discs, belts etc.

Anyone got a ball park figure for the above??

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.