Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The true cost of a kit build...
T66

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK

I wouldn't mind so much if my car ever worked, but it never works properly and never will because I don't know what I'm doing.

Love this bit, reminds me of me...

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
buy a part built, then even adding it up it seems like a bargain!

I think mine came out around the £5k mark all in.

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
I have a spreadsheet where I register all my spendings, big and small. The running tally is always accurate with the contents of my bank, wallet and investments account. Thus, when I bought the kit, I made a special sheet for it to sum up those specific costs.

I bought all my kit in a box, at once, to spare me some grief getting parts and save on shipping. Right of the bat, I exceeded my budget on the main box.
Then it has been tools I didn't have (dremmel, torque wrench that I never used, protective equipment...), consumables (drill bits, oils, greases, ...), insurance...

I know how much it is, the wife knows how much it is (it's my money, she doesn't care), with the IVA and import it will still be a bit more...

But I don't care! I'm having loads of fun building it. I've learnt a lot about mechanics, my main goal. My kid loves the idea, the wife (petrolhead) is more eager than me for it to be on a track...
Sometimes, the best things in life aren't arriving somewhere, they are the ride getting there.

Be happy!
HappyFather

Can I get an Amen brothers?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Jonte

posted on 8/3/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
with the exchange rate today mine MK has cost about £11.000 :-|

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 8/3/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mine was about £5.5k when first on the road. That was keeping the build nice and basic though.

Stu

Heather

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ohhh.... and my husband told me £10,000 give or take
40inches

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather

He TOLD you £10,000! Blimey! wonder how much it REALLY cost?

Twin40

posted on 8/3/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
Noooooo.... you must never do this. This the path to disillusionment and true unhappiness and also the certainty that in knowing this information, the true boss of the household will somehow find out and then even greater unhappiness.

Haha this made me laugh,

Thanks guys, its nice to know i'm not alone when its comes to the 'true costs'. All of that aside, i've certainly enjoyed building the car, and have learnt a hell of a lot of the past 12 months.

Hopefully the drive will be just as rewarding!

jps

posted on 8/3/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've been keeping a budget sheet since day one and to try and offset nasty surprises filled it in with cautious estimates for everything i could think of, eng I've already budgeted for IVA and a retest, 2 lots of trailer hire for those tests, registration fee, etc, etc.

I bought a part built, and put together most of the projected costs for the bits i didn't have by leafing through catalogs from suppliers, at the moment I'm on just over 7k as a total cost with roughly half that actually spent. Wheels, shocks, clocks and electrics are the 'only' bits i still need to buy but i don't have any illusion that the other little bits and pieces won't add up!

MikeRJ

posted on 8/3/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on, is everyone saying that it costs MORE than £250?
TimC

posted on 8/3/13 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Heather, I'm in no doubt that you know the real cost.

RK

posted on 8/3/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can't put a price on education, can you?
sdh2903

posted on 8/3/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wow what are you guys spending your dosh on?

My car was on the road for 9k that's including iva, registration, first years insurance and first tank of fuel. I've not scrimped on spec either stack instrumentation, mnr reverse, new wheels, toyos etc. Admittedly I did a good bit of wheeler dealering with recouping money from donor and some of the more expensive items I picked up second hand. I was actually disappointed I didn't hit my 8k target but reading this thread I'm feeling happier now

Vindi_andy

posted on 8/3/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can't put a value on the enjoyment you get from it or the pride you get when someone compliments you on the car and you can turn round and say "I built it"
Vindi_andy

posted on 8/3/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
I have a spreadsheet where I register all my spendings, big and small. The running tally is always accurate with the contents of my bank, wallet and investments account. Thus, when I bought the kit, I made a special sheet for it to sum up those specific costs.

I bought all my kit in a box, at once, to spare me some grief getting parts and save on shipping. Right of the bat, I exceeded my budget on the main box.
Then it has been tools I didn't have (dremmel, torque wrench that I never used, protective equipment...), consumables (drill bits, oils, greases, ...), insurance...

I know how much it is, the wife knows how much it is (it's my money, she doesn't care), with the IVA and import it will still be a bit more...

But I don't care! I'm having loads of fun building it. I've learnt a lot about mechanics, my main goal. My kid loves the idea, the wife (petrolhead) is more eager than me for it to be on a track...
Sometimes, the best things in life aren't arriving somewhere, they are the ride getting there.

Be happy!
HappyFather

Can I get an Amen brothers?

AMEN

My youngest learnt her numbers over 10 helping me build and they both love going out in it. Any sun and they ask if we can take tango out.

Its already been booked for my youngests Prom when she leaves primary school and my eldest has told me I cant get rid of it until she is married as she wants me to take her to the church in it.

My wife actually kept a cost spreadsheet but never restricted what I bought, and even bought some things for tango as Boirthday and christmas presents.

D Beddows

posted on 8/3/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

my youngests Prom when she leaves primary school

Dear god, has this 'prom' nonsense spread to Primary school now as well

indykid

posted on 8/3/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
The £7k my car cost me (detailed spreadsheet down to fasteners and postage, albeit in 2005) gave me a lot of the skills that were instrumental in getting me to uni to get an MEng and into my job as an r&d engineer for a global turbocharger company. At every interview, everyone's wanted to talk about it.

I think it was pretty decent value!

Ninehigh

posted on 9/3/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Has he been rumbled?

TimC

posted on 9/3/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Dear god, has this 'prom' nonsense spread to Primary school now as well

What happened to the end of term disco, or the 'Dinner and Dance?'

Americanisation = Yuck.

emwmarine

posted on 9/3/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

My Rush has only cost 6.5K. I showed my wife the accounts to prove it. And it will be worth 22K. She is very happy.

Building a Dax Rush.

emwmarine

posted on 9/3/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

My Rush has only cost 6.5K. I showed my wife the accounts to prove it. And it will be worth 22K. She is very happy.

My other file is at work.

Building a Dax Rush.

theduck

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
My wife knows the real cost... Seem I'm one if the minority in that. Though I bought a bargain part built and most parts second hand bargains as well. Cost to date is £1848.98 which leaves me £151.02 in the budget, plus tires, IVA and registration (these are agreed 'extras'. Good news is I have very little left to spend so coming in on budget should be achievable!

I think total spend will come in at £3.5k

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.