Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1800 silvertop lowered sump
richyb

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
1800 silvertop lowered sump

after too many scrapes over speed bumps etc. my standard sump has worn through and i have a big pool of oil. any ideas for a cheap option or someone good at welding a lowered sump ? - they are £220 plus vat on the scholar engines site

thanks

fatbaldbloke

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Remember there's a bit more to doing it properly than just cutting the bottom off and welding a shallower bit back. In the Mondeo the engine is transverse and the sump baffles are set to cope with oil surge accordingly. As you turn the engine round for a longitudinal installation the baffles don't work so well and need positioning differently. If you reduce the capacity of the sump by making it shallower, and don't change the baffles, there's a good chance you'll starve the engine of oil under vigorous driving. That's why the Scholar/Dunnell sumps appear to be so expensive, there's more work than you would imagine, including a cut down and repositioned oil pick up pipe, plus the cost of research and design to reposition the baffles etc.
IMHO, unless you really know what you're doing there is a risk of it being a false economy to mod your own sump.

r1_pete

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have a blacktop 2 peice sump spare, the pan on this is steel and I understand several people on here have modified these successfully.

The alloy part incoperates the windage tray so you need to remove the tin tray in the silvertop, and the double ended main bolts.

Someone will be along shortly who's done it and explain further.

[Edited on 11/8/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 11/8/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger do a short zetec Sump.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

UncleFista

posted on 11/8/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
If you supply a sump, Deneo on here modified ours, lowering it and adding extra oil capacity to make up for it. He did a cracking job for not much cash

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.