Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slight play in bike engine output shaft?
twybrow

posted on 25/10/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Slight play in bike engine output shaft?

Can anyone tell me how much play to expect in the output shaft (I appreciate you won't know the engine, but you will know bike engines!)? I am concerned because I seem to have a slight vibrating sound in 1st gear as I pull away. It doesn't seem to do it in other gears. My engine has alwas shuddered when pulling away at low rpm, but it now seems to be complimented with the metal knocking/vibration sound.

I have checked everything is tight, and where I have play, and the only place I can find any play is in the output shaft. There is a very small amount of lateral movement, which you can subsequently hear when you yank on it. It isn't much (I cant even see it with my eye), but I cant figure where else the noise is comin from...

It is also slightly harder than it has been to get into 1st gear (although it does still go).

Have I knackered my gearbox, or am I being overly cautious (Triumph T595 engine btw)....

Thanks!

shortie

posted on 25/10/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember I used to have the same thing with the Blade engine.

I just came to xthe conclusion that if it breaks it breaks, there's really not much else you can do if you have checked everything's tight.

I suggest just drive it and enjoy!!

ReMan

posted on 25/10/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Lateral as in, in and out is ok.
Side to side should be practically zero

twybrow

posted on 25/10/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
It is side to side - it can't be more than a mm or two at most, as I can't see it moving, I can just hear it. In out it did move a bit on assembly, but again, no more than a few mm.

I do like the idea of ignoring it, and going out to enjoy it, but when the last real drive you did resulted in a propshaft off event, it kinda makes the suck it and see approach a little scary!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/10/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Probably best ignored.

I have a lot (i.e you can hear it 'clonk' of up and down movement on the GSXR750, less, but still very evident on the GSXR1000.
The GSXR750 has a shorter output case with the difference in sprocket postion (or this case the propshaft adapter) being taken up with a spacer. It's under one helluva lot of load as a consequence.
Both engines have run like this for 3 years of circuit abuse.
I get vibes, but I don't think it's related. The only serious engine-related vibes have been when the prop adapter nut has come loose. You'll know when this is lose, you really will, no debate.

prawnabie

posted on 25/10/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
He already does lol
Dusty

posted on 25/10/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the last real drive you did resulted in a propshaft off event

Is this a rebuild then and the same engine that was on the front of a flailing prop? Are you thinking has that episode damaged the output shaft bearings?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 25/10/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked the prop adapter nut? mine came loose too and could be noticed by body vibe..
ReMan

posted on 25/10/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
1-2 mm!
That surely is not good.
Oil seals wont cope with that much movement long either

twybrow

posted on 25/10/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
It is a rebuild with the same engine. I'd be amazed if the output shaft didn't get a good whack from the flailing prop, but it felt fine to turn by hand. I have had to clean up the prop adaptor and the sleeve that goes over the output shaft and through the oil seal.

Tomorrow evening I will dismantle the prop again just to see exactly what is going on. I guessed at the movement, so I could be a long way out....

The nut is held in place with high strength threadlock, but I will check it tomorrow when I borrow a socket. The only other thing I can think of is the small collar [that went over the output shaft] had a chamfer on one end, and not the other. I couldn't decide which way it should have been on. Maybe I got it wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.