Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4age oil system help
Bass1st

posted on 30/8/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
4age oil system help

I am trying to work out how my current oil system works with the aim of improving the oil pressure during track days. I have noticed that the oil pressure drops right down under hard braking and can get very high under hard acceleration so wondering if I can stabilise this a bit!

Current system as follows; Sump has been reduced to help engine clearance. There is a pipe coming out from just under the oil filer which goes via an oil cooler into the top of what looks like an auxiliary oil tank (3 litres approx.). There is then another pipe coming from the top of the aux tank going to the bottom of the engine block,just above the sump itself. Can anyone help explain to me how this system is working and how I might make it more reliable? Accusump maybe?

Thanks.

Canada EH!

posted on 31/8/10 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
The hose that comes off the filter area in stock form went to an oil cooler then returned to the oil pan through the other pipe.
The block under the oil filter also had a thermostate in it.
The system was a by-pass sending excess oil to the cooler when the oil got warm enough to open the thermostat, seems someone had a better idea.
The Haynes manual for the Toyota Corolla GTS sold in North America shows the oil flow.

Bass1st

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
OK, got it. SO is the oil pumped out of the engine into the cooler, or sucked back (or both)? Clearly the aux oil tank is there to hold the oil that should really be in the sump (now shortened). Just wondering how I can optimise the system to ensure my oil pressure stays stable!
bi22le

posted on 31/8/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
For the oil to surge and stave surly means that you have problems with a pick up.

I would consider looking at the sump design as this may be where the problem is. Also where is you oil pressure sender unit?

My 4AGE is as follows.

Stock sump (soon to be shortened and winged), Oil to water exchange sandwich plate (between engine and oild filter) and an Accusump. The Accusump feeds into the hole above the sump that you talk about (I think). My Oil pressure is stable when driving but obviouly does go up and down depending on engine temp and revs. The Accusump also means the pressure takes a while to get up when first started.

HTH. I can look at mine tonight if you need more info \ pics.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Bass1st

posted on 31/8/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the sump design - from the outside it looks like the original, just shortened (I guess reducing the capacity by 3 litres). I will need to take the sump off to check what the internals look like - a job for the winter I think (seal needs redoing anyway).

Some pics would be very useful.

I will check where the sender is this evening...

Appreciate the help.

bi22le

posted on 31/8/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ill take some photos tonight for you if I remember.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Canada EH!

posted on 31/8/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
The oil in the stock system is pushed from the pump to the filter and then to the oil galleries to lubricate the engine, then gravity feeds back to the sump.

The stock oil cooler was fed excess oil through a thermostat, then to the cooler, then back to the sump through the oil pipe below the filter.

The oil starvation you speak of is caused by the oil running away from the pickup in the sump during violent manouvers.

I suggest you start by looking at the sump configuration, and a means to keep the oil at the pickup.

The accusump is a means of putting pressurized oil into the system when the regular system fails, or during startup.

The modifications to your engine appear to be a homemade attempt to copy an accusump.

Bass1st

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure sensor is in the standard place - just to the left of the oil filter. Having read up the tank is like the one you would find on a dry sump system, but with no breather and no additional scavenger pump. Sort of half wet/half dry it would appear! I think I might just replace the tank with an accusump, assuming I can get one that is similar in capacity.
Bass1st

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
B122le - any chance of those photo's? Also, where are you going to get your sump winged? This sounds like a much better idea than the solution I have today.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.