Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leak down tester anyone?
Bass1st

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Leak down tester anyone?

I am experiencing some strange engine problems at the mo. Running really rough (after a trip to a rolling road) and I think I may have a compression issue as electrics all test out OK. I did a test using a compression tester and it was not conclusive so want to do a proper test before taking the head off. Anyone got a leak down tester I could borrow?? Don't want to spend 60 quid on one!
clairetoo

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one sitting in the kitchen - brand new and un-used - if no one nearer to comes to the rescue I'm not a million miles away..........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Bass1st

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Claire... as you say, lets see if anyone closer can help, if not will take you up on the offer.
DorsetStrider

posted on 25/9/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I saw plans somewhere online on how to build one. A google search should turn them up it that helps?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

britishtrident

posted on 25/9/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it is running really rough a leak down test won't tell you anything a properly done compression test didn't show up. It actually takes quite a very big loss of compression to make an engine run really roughly.

A leak down test is about assessing the engine general state of health of the engine or looking for small losses in performance or to identify exactly what component is leaking.

Check the plugs and valve clearances also check the carb jets are clear and screwed in properly, look for water in the float chambers and check the float levels.
Check the carbs are properly synched and the inlet manifold for vacuum leaks. Check the fuel delivery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bass1st

posted on 25/9/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have changed the plugs... ones that came out where all the same colour (black). I have checked the cam clearances and they are all in spec. Not sure if I can check the valve clearances with the head coming off? Checked jets - all clear and screwed in OK. Not checked for float levels or water - good idea, will try tomorrow. Carbs where synched at the rolling road so hope this is not the issue. Will check if vacuum leaks as I have not done this either. Is there anything else on the carbs that could be blocked that I could check (DHLA 45's)?

Appreciate the advice.

Might post a video if I still can't crack it.

britishtrident

posted on 25/9/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
If the plugs are black it is running too rich ---- were the ( idle) jets changed for larger ones ?

[/I]

adithorp

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
What engine, fueling, ignition? What was done at the RR session? Just a power run or was the fueling/ignition altered?

If it ran right before you need to be looking at what could have happened on the RR.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MakeEverything

posted on 26/9/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bass1st
I have changed the plugs... ones that came out where all the same colour (black). I have checked the cam clearances and they are all in spec. Not sure if I can check the valve clearances with the head coming off? Checked jets - all clear and screwed in OK. Not checked for float levels or water - good idea, will try tomorrow. Carbs where synched at the rolling road so hope this is not the issue. Will check if vacuum leaks as I have not done this either. Is there anything else on the carbs that could be blocked that I could check (DHLA 45's)?

Appreciate the advice.

Might post a video if I still can't crack it.

You check the valve clearances at the stem end, not the head end, and involves revolving the engine to release the pressure on the stem, then checking for slack or too much tension when the valve should be closed.

Youre figures looked ok to me. Every engine is different, and as long as the cylinders are all in the same area (which yours are) then that shows even wear on the rings and valve train.

Personally, unless the engine is running really rough, id leave it alone. If the mileage is that high, then it might even be due a rebuild.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Bass1st

posted on 26/9/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
The car was rejetted at the RR which was why I booked the session. It was running very lean after I upgraded the cams and as I plan to use it on the track we decided to be on the safe side. The car ran OK when I left the RR - but slowly developed the fault as I drove home. Engine is now doing it all the time.

I do have the old idle jets so I might try them and see if it makes any difference.

Engine is a 4age 16v smallport running DHLA 45's.

Bass1st

posted on 26/9/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
... Omex 100 and standard Dizzy
britishtrident

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Put the original jets back in and see how it runs ---- simple thing first.

[/I]

atspeed racing

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Why not pop back and see the rolling road operator. He may have made a mistake or something could have gone wrong.
I am sure if you ask him politley he will be more than willing to spend a few minutes having a look.
I would advise you not to fiddle with it as this could make matters worse and make it harder for him to trace any fault.

[Edited on 28/9/10 by atspeed racing]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bass1st

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I did talk with him and we went over what we had done to see if anything obvious cropped up. Issue is the car is not drivable as it stands today - keeps stalling.

All we did was balance the carbs and change the idle and main jets. Did a before any after dyno run and that was it.

When the car arrived he did mention that the car was not running 100% smoothly and we did a compression test that showed cylinder 2 was slightly down, so probably a valve or piston issue developing.

The only thing we could come up with was that the dyno run had made the compression problem worse.

The only other thing to mention was that we forgot to put the little black covers back on over the idle/main jets when I drove home. I don't think this would have made any difference, unless some muck has got in somewhere?

Bass1st

posted on 2/10/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Put the old idle jets in and the car runs much better. Adjusted the timing a little and it ran even better. So that was the good news..

Went for a quick blast and the alternator belt snapped - knocked the crank sensor off which then ended up knocking a hole in my nose cone! Thankfully only superficial damage done - just need a new belt now.

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/10/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I bet it turns out to be electrical.

Just because the plugs fire out of the engine, doesn't mean they work in the engine.

If you have a strobe light that triggers from the spark lead then you can use it to determine whether the sparks are coming as expected.

Matt

p.s. Sorry I don't have a leak down tester.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.