Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA'ing a hybrid
garyo

posted on 27/10/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
IVA'ing a hybrid

I was thinking about the direction that Westfield are going in, and wondering how hybrid registration works.

At what point does your bike engine'd seven, with electric motor reverse, become a hybrid that qualifies for a reduced or zero rate tax disc?

Is there a minimum speed/range that the car has to be able to cover under battery power? Or some technicality based on drive train - that the engine should be able to supply full power to the alternator, which then drives the electric motor? So motor KW has to equal engine KW?

Gary

marcjagman

posted on 27/10/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hybrid is the car moving forward at normal traffic speed with no emissions ie electric or hydrogen
jack_t

posted on 27/10/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
hybrid built kitcars i.e all cars not built by a big firm like caterham and westfield will not become in abundance as it is illegal for the average punter to touch a hybrid system on what would be a donor car

[Edited on 27/10/10 by jack_t]

deezee

posted on 27/10/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
In terms of reduced tax your car must be an approved design (Class M1?) So unless your willing to go into production and provide samples for testing I'd leave modifying your kit car!

tegwin

posted on 27/10/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t
hybrid built kitcars i.e all cars not built by a big firm like caterham and westfield will not become in abundance as it is illegal for the average punter to touch a hybrid system on what would be a donor car

Why is that the case? What is the logic behind it?

I can understand not being allowed to touch hydrogeon stuff.... but electric/petrol seems fine to me..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

deezee

posted on 27/10/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Why is that the case? What is the logic behind it?

I can understand not being allowed to touch hydrogeon stuff.... but electric/petrol seems fine to me..

The Prius runs around 250v with a 3phase converter on board. I'm not sure of the exact specs but I imagine its unsafe to modify for a kit car. Illegal? Its hardly going to be a crime to work on a Prius in your own garage? Lets be sensible about this. It might be a H&S issue in the work place, but not an crime for an owner. Bit dramatic.

Strontium Dog

posted on 27/10/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t

Is this a fact? Can you point me to the legislation please?

Wouldn't surprise me in this anal H&S obsessed county and may be a problem for a future project!

garyo

posted on 27/10/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wouldn't surprise me in this anal H&S obsessed county and may be a problem for a future project!

Although isn't it fairly dangerous lying underneath a badly supported vehicle, replacing your own brakes, steering joints, wheel nuts...

I don't see how some electricity is an order of magnitude more dangerous.

Strontium Dog

posted on 27/10/10 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
quote:

Although isn't it fairly dangerous lying underneath a badly supported vehicle, replacing your own brakes, steering joints, wheel nuts...

I don't see how some electricity is an order of magnitude more dangerous.

It's not about what's safe, it's about what some berk in an office somewhere has decided based on the price of fish!

And yes, lying under a poorly supported car is dangerous, especially to change/repair brakes steering joints and wheel nuts which would be done from the side by most people. Maybe it would be for the best if such people were removed from the gene pool anyway!

tug

posted on 27/10/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well...sounds like I won't be able to register my car in the UK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.