Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed Dreams: The Fastest Place on Earth - on BBC 2 now!
twybrow

posted on 6/1/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Speed Dreams: The Fastest Place on Earth - on BBC 2 now!

Speed Dreams: The Fastest Place on Earth....

I seem to recall there was at least on Locostbuilder on this program...

Enjoy!

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/1/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Got it recording now.
Andi

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Speed Dreams: The Fastest Place on Earth....

I seem to recall there was at least on Locostbuilder on this program...

Enjoy!

Enjoy I did.. Thanks for that.. When is the next episode

Andi

woodster

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Really enjoyed that
ReMan

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Great.
Would love to be there.
Is it next Sunday?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bobinspain

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched it. Utterly captivating. What a bunch of 'lads.'(some about my age).
Part 2 is same time next sunday according to the BBC website. I'll be glued. It was a great programme fabulously narrated by Bill Nighy.

MikeR

posted on 6/1/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I loved it. few times just found myself smiling out of pure joy. the misses played tetris.
trikerneil

posted on 7/1/13 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC Flak was involved with Briz's Weslake but it looks like it never made the final cut

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 7/1/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I was involved with the Weslake. It was the only vehicle cut from the show, and we weren't impressed at all. And we haven't really been given a very good reason. We'd originally been told 3 bikes had been cut.

We are still there in the background on a few shots, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, we are going back next year for another go, if all goes to plan.

The whole group of people involved were great, made it a really enjoyable experience

coozer

posted on 7/1/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched it on the iplayer, very good stuff.. I want a workshop like they have...

And to think, the EU wants to ban all that sort of thing...

Vote UKIP!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 7/1/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Caught up tonight. Relegated the mrs to the other room to watch 'stenders

I like the phrase "my hearts going like a stolen moped's engine"...

steve m

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
"I like the phrase "my hearts going like a stolen moped's engine"..."

That line made me chuckle as well

cant wait for the next episode

cerbera

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Watchin' it now
steve m

posted on 14/1/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched part two

LOVED IT !!!

AdrianH

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well I liked the concept, but come on, the amounts of let down where unbelievable.

The only one to have gone on a Dyno tun was the group with very little technical abilities with the old Triumph, the old Indian only shown going for a run up a private lane.

To be spending that much time on the bikes (car) not to have the engines run under load for some time or at least some way of proving them out first before shipping out is pure nuts in my mind.

Was it pressure from the TV company to rush things and push people a year before they are ready all in the name of a TV show. The Mike Page group I could possibly understand, but for the rest of them portrayed as dedicated, fanatical and technical people seems unbelievable to be so far off the mark.

A case of the strange men from Briton, from in their sheds putting a smile on when failure strikes.

Yes I would love to try it, perhaps one day!

Adrian

[Edited on 14-1-13 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

flak monkey

posted on 15/1/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the bikes had dyno time actually, the BBC weren't there to film most of them. The BBC actually had little to do with it other than following us around, they didn't push any of it, or organise any of it either. They found out we were all going and thought it'd make a decent show.

Dyno time is pretty useless anyway, you can't tune the bike for the difference in altitude, heat and humidity you get up there.

4 miles flat out, at 45deg C ambient and 4500ft. It's a very harsh environment to run any vehicle in. Take a 200mph road vehicle there and it'll struggle to get to break 150mph. You're 30% down on power before you even start. It's nothing like as simple as you might think to build something reliable to take out there.

Drag or circuit racing just isn't the same. There is nowhere in the UK to test these vehicles that even comes close. The shortest track at Bonneville is 4 miles total (2 timed miles, 1 run up and 1 to stop), the long track for the streamliners is timed over 5 miles with a mile run up and 3 miles stopping distance.

Take the Indian, the original road bike would have been flat out at 50mph. The amount of engineering work in tuning the engine to the point it can take a bike to over 80mph in that environment is no mean feat. There's a reason why a lot of the records can seem slow, it's because it's kin' difficult! There's people there with a lot of money in projects, some are professional racers with pro teams, some have been going there for years, and they all struggle to get the best from their vehicles.

No one did it because they thought they could easily smash a record, or because they thought it would be easy. This was a huge challenge, and yes we're going back next year to have another go. With different bikes and some experience. But one thing is for certain, we'll be having a lot of fun!

clanger

posted on 15/1/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
respect to one and all. would love to go just to watch, to run up the salt, no matter what speed, must be a hell of an achievement........
AdrianH

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough!

Just the way it seemed portrayed to me with comments, that the flower of Scotland could not be tested in the UK and showing the two guy's with the complete home made bike just revving it before they packaged it for shipping.

For example: to have heard that the guys with the home made, had power runs of some form would have given me more conviction they had tested everything they could before hand then believing they had an untested engine blow on it's first run.

Don't get me wrong, the amount of skill on that bike to build the engine alone is inspiring. Just found the portrayal of everyone as dreaming eccentrics to be stereotypical.

In fact from what I saw the Dave and PJ team did the best out of all.

I also note that the Indian in the Bert (Burt) Monro film was more 950cc towards the end of all its rework compared to the Indian which was it 740cc?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

sdh2903

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the explaination flak. I've never really followed the goings on at Bonneville until watching these programmes and I did think the runs seemed a little low on speed at times. All makes sense now. That Indian and the bloke on it was excellent, lockwiring his leathers together to get through scrutineering was class

flak monkey

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Comments about the Flower testing was there's nowhere you can test it. Engine dyno time is easy, but testing the built vehicle is a whole different ballgame.

The Triumphs supercharger siezed solid, could have happened during testing. Those guys have years of drag racing experience, and know what they are doing. Just bad luck.

Chris's Indian was based on a 500cc 741B engine, reworked to 600cc

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Flak, we're you in the show? I'm intrigued, sounds like you had a fair bit to do with it all? Have I missed something?

I also loved it. Made me remember why I love cars and racing - the people and the commaradery. Nothing like it.....

flak monkey

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I went along with one of the bikes that was cut from the final show. There were actually 7 vehicles due to be in the show, one got cut and it was the one I was crewing for. This bike:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=8660.0

I met Briz when he made my custom frame a few years ago now, and we've since become really good friends. Shaun Allen who was crewing for Chris was originally crewing for Briz, but ended up helping out with Chris's bike too

Chris travelled with us all the way. He's a great guy

I generally stayed outta the way of the cameras, but I'm there in a few shots

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, very cool.

Was it as mind blowing as it looked? Did you get a run up the salt?

flak monkey

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't get a run, we had our fair share of problems too. We did run the bike several times each day though.

As for the salt, yes its a mental place....

We started off in LA, spent a week or so there, picked the bikes up, drove to Wendover, 10days of speedweek, then back to LA for another week.

Here's a few of my pics

Long Beach

Bike collection

Deserted Motel - 42deg here when we stopped at 7pm...

The important stuff

Chris lockwiring his leathers :lol:

Briz's Weslake thats been cut

The BBC crew on the bikes

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 15/1/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jaw dropping pics, thanks for sharing. Shame the bike was cut from the final piece- looks really interesting.

Very jealous, a real dream of mine you've realised

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.