Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Miata Differential
kobushi

posted on 23/1/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Miata Differential

I am wanting to use 94+ mazda miata torsen differentials in my project, and in order to finish CADing my chassis design (or to get a realistic start ) I need some good images/technical drawings/dimensions/measurments. In order to CAD the diffs.

If anyone has this info, or could take some top, sides, bottom, and ends pictures along with somewhat accurate measurments I'd appreciate having access to them

I don't want to have to buy the diff to make the 3D model just in case I discover it's dimensions don't wr for what I want :/ (rather build it in the computer before I have to spend money on it )

Or if someone already has a 3D miata diff, that'd be even better.... But I'll gladly make any 3d model I make of the diff available to anyone who wants afterwards of course.

Thanks in advance,
--Ash

sean951

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
i cant really help you with that but i hope someone can. i want to use the same diff with my project. your not to far from me either, how far along with your build are you?
froggy

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
there is a uk company called z cars which have built twin bike engined cars ,i dont have a link but im sure someone else will on this site . may not be any help but im sure they have a transfer box design which may suit your idea
kobushi

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I am still in the planning stages with my project.

I want to be reasonably sure that the components/plan I have will work by building it in CAD prior to actally buying ay parts. I hope to start amassing materials/components around sept. or oct. of 2006.

sean951

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
i was actually just about to buy a miata diff on ebay but i was outbid. it was the viscous type though and not the torsen. thats why i let it go. when i do end up getting my diff i will take some measurments for you if no one else has them here. i also have some other miata suspension parts bought if you need some additional measurments. let me know
kobushi

posted on 25/1/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a VERY ROUGH model of a miata diff done.

I didn't have very good source images, and only 1 masrument to go by, but assuming I was gien the right measurment it should be close to within at least an inch; (hopeflly 1/4" )

I will attach the file as a .3ds and a .3dm (.3dm is the native format)

--Ash

kobushi

posted on 25/1/06 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can only attach one at a time ^_^

--Ash

chrisf

posted on 26/1/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
kobushi:

How about some jpegs of your work thus far. It sounds like an interesting project...

--Chris

PS What is a .3d or .3s file? 3DS? Can you convert it to igs?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kobushi

posted on 27/1/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sure here is the .igs

.3dm is Rhino 3D, .3ds is 3D Studio

--Ash

Keith Tanner

posted on 27/1/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'll see if I can get some measurements this weekend. One thing to note - the 1990-93 cars used a smaller unit than the 1994-97. The ring and pinion is weaker in the earlier units and the whole assembly is a bit shorter. You might want to specify which one you're talking about.

www.slowcarfast.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kobushi

posted on 27/1/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
My original post says 94+, I should specify 94-97. Sorry for being unclear.

Any measurments would be appreciated, also pics of where the axles attach would be nice, that detail is missing on the model.

My goal isn't to make a production grade CAD file of course, just close enough to design mounts and placement in CAD that will work.

Thanks,
--Ash

--Ash

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.