Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: caliper mounting
omega0684

posted on 23/2/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
caliper mounting

hi guys, what is the difference between radial mounts and lug mounts for calipers?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 23/2/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
lug mounts have the axis of the mounting holes parallel with the axis of the wheel, radial mount they're at right angles
Bob

omega0684

posted on 23/2/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
im using uprights from a ford sierra so which do i use?

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 23/2/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think you can use either, one requires an adaptor though. Can't remeber which!!
Sorry

Marcus
Ps that was probably no help!

Cortina uses lug mount

[Edited on 23/2/06 by Marcus]

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

ERP

posted on 23/2/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on what you want.

Assuming you're making the adapter yourself then radial mounts are a lot easier to make the adapter for. Since one set of fasteners is running at 90 degrees to the other, it usually just a question of finding a piece of AL the right size andd drilling holes.

Lug mounted calipers will often require significant machining to make a bracket.

Or you could just buy calipers with brackets that work for your application.

NS Dev

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you need to ask then best to buy em with adaptors.

As Marcus said, normal car mounts are normally Lug, most competition calipers are Radial, for the reasons mentioned above and to make the caliper from a smaller lump of ally to start with.

Ready made lug mount calipers are great if available to fit your uprights, but if not, they are usually a swine as they tend to be just too close to fitting to enable a bracket to easily be made, as the holes will usually overlap.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.