Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: pedals and cables
santcliff

posted on 13/4/03 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
pedals and cables

Hi,

I’ve come up on a bit of a brick wall with the MK pedals. It has to be said that they are a work or art, simple and neat, but I cannot work out what to do with the throttle cable.

With the brake, I plan to modify a plunger, that’s in hand.

With the clutch I’ve ‘obtained’ a broken one from a mate with a w**ty, and will swage a U onto the end that he snapped. (w**ty cable has adjustment on the end that engages with the clutch leaver)

But the throttle is puzzling me. The cable is very long and I cannot work out how to modify the end to fit the pedal. Anyone got any suggestions, maybe using another cable not from the donor? (sierra pinto)

Thanks

stuart

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

progers

posted on 14/4/03 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing cable to throttle pedal

Hi,

All I've done is to drill a hole in the throttle pedal to accept an M8 bolt, youthen drill a small hole near the head of the bolt to put the cable through. You then just clamp it to the pedal. By the way I've used a bicycle brake cable as a throttle cable as this was easily adaptable to the carbs on the R1 motor

Hope that helps

Paul

MK Indy R1

CairB

posted on 14/4/03 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I made a U clip that the cable nipple can slot into. The U clip fastens onto the pedal using a clevis pin, I feel that its important that the cable can pivot otherwise it will fail due to cyclic stressing. This also applies to the clutch cable.

Cheers,

Colin

mdc124

posted on 14/4/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
after having a nightmare with the same thing, and spanning it, stretching it and then chopping the end off with over exhuberant clamping - Make it simple, easy to adjust and dont forget to ensure that it cant shift out of its locating hole - or nipples fly, can cables twang.

Having said that - now I know what can go wrong and I've fixed it myself twice (in immediate succession) i've now done 100 trouble free miles (200 in total)

Fantastic!!

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 15/4/03 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at how we have done the handbrake cable connectors to the balance bar on the handbrake on my web site (hints and tips page), or my photos section. We have done exactly the same on the clutch and throttle cable/pedal.

mk9r website

[Edited on 15/4/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dodgyroger

posted on 18/4/03 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I went to my local bicycle shop and purchased a pinch bolt used to secure the brake cable to the cycle brake calipers (if you can call them calipers). It’s basically an M5 bolt drilled with a crushable washer. Just drill a hole in the pedal, thread the cable through the pinch bolt and tighten it up. It cost me 15p.

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

SteveO

posted on 2/5/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Weber Linkage Single or double cable?

Hi

Like a lot of guys in here , i'm just a starter and coming to grips with terms and egine stuff. I've stripped my donor -pinto 2ltr and just cleaned the bits. Got my twin 40s from ebay, service kit etc. Two things i need your help on. shall i get a single or double linkage, over or under feed cables..or something sounding like that. What length inlet manifold have those that have got to the stage is used so that i don't need to cut the side of the bonnet cover. I've ordered my MK indy and can't wait to start.

Thanks
Steve

Mark H

posted on 2/5/03 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
SteveO - Feed cables.

My petrol pipe goes over my twin 40's, and it rubs against the bonnet. It will be going under in a few months, when i can be arsed coz there's loads of space.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.