Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra half shafts???
Findlay234

posted on 11/6/03 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
sierra half shafts???

According to the haynes manual there are only two types of half shaft, the type that bolts up to the diff (rear discs) and the type that fits into it with a spline (drums). Mines the splined fit, then Luego were asking me which kind of splined fit.... asking me how many splines there were at the end of the shaft (this is so they can send me shortened half shafts). Are they wrong in asking me or is the haynes book wrong and there is more than one type of splined fit?
craig1410

posted on 11/6/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I know a guy who has the splined inner end with discs on the outer end. I was surprised too but I saw them with my own eyes.

HTH,
Craig.

Findlay234

posted on 11/6/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dont............... just dont.................... youre making making me more confused. Anyone know the answer, could give ford a call but im not allowed to do that kind of thing at work.
James

posted on 11/6/03 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
Dont............... just dont.................... youre making making me more confused. Anyone know the answer, could give ford a call but im not allowed to do that kind of thing at work.

I've seen one with a drum one side and a disc the other.... if that helps at all...

craig1410

posted on 11/6/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a daft question but why don't you just count the splines and tell Luego. It sounds like they know how to identify the correct shafts for your application.

Just a thought.
Craig.

Findlay234

posted on 12/6/03 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i have done, i was just wondering for my own sake.
Viper

posted on 12/6/03 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
The type that bolt to the diff "Lobro" have splines as well, that's whats inside the cv joints...the Lobro type are thicker...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 12/6/03 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Good point, I never thought of it like that.

However, the ones I saw with splines and discs were tripode type CV's (not Lobro's) with disc brakes. Maybe they were some sort of hybrid but I can't see why anyone would have gone to the hassle of putting disc brakes on a tripode driveshaft rather than just change the diff and shafts as a set.

Cheers,
Craig.

mad-butcher

posted on 13/6/03 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
should have bought an MK Indy no messing around just uses standard so any damage can be put straight in your local breakers you pays your money you take your chances
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
accident

posted on 13/6/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
the bolt up (lobro)type shafts were on the lsd type diffs(2.0is,xr4x4)the spline type were for everything else(dont mention cosworths as they were different again).
there were rear disk braked sierras without lsd's so a spline disk combination is common.
as for the spline type shafts they changed through the sierra lifespan so there are at least two different types.

bob

posted on 14/6/03 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I havnt got LSD but i do have bolt up lobro CV joints with rear discs,came from GLSi sierra.

Good old ford eh,bit like the haynes manual just here to confuse.

Anyhow tony is right should have bought an indy,LOL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.