Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bike or car engine
scotf

posted on 11/6/03 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
bike or car engine

title says it all ,i like the idea of a bike engine that revs to 11000rpm and sequental gears but i have heard of clutch problems ?

a car engine heavy, not as powerful but has reverse and is cheap ?

any thoughts welcome

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/6/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
read jaspers post about his new car just passed today.

if you are building a std car i would give abike engine SERIOUS consideration.

There are loads of BEC cars without problems. Go to Newark show and see literally hundreds of cars with working clutches and bike engines!

atb

steve

who had a non std car and an iron V6......

David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/03 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Try and scrounge a ride in both types, if you can.

Riding in a bike-engined car is a frantic experience... screaming engine, neck-snapping acceleration, wild ride (innit, Jon! ). Not sure I'd want to drive in traffic jams too often, or around town.

A good standard engine doesn't have the crazy sound and acceleration, but is more relaxed in 'ordinary motoring' (whatever that is).

Both can be huge fun - just decide on the sort of driving you're likely to do, and work from there.

David

scotf

posted on 13/6/03 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
i will try and scrounge a go in both if possible. i have to say the bike engine idea is more appealing as the car would just be used for days off work and trackdays.

how is the all weather gear on the cars as i would like to keep the car outside the house for the summer as the garage is a bit of a walk and i do live in scotland so there is always a chance it will rain

accident

posted on 13/6/03 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
bike engine is a fine choice.
clutch issues can be solved by getting better clutch springs.
my locost is happy doing 12k rpm round a track or sitting in traffic doing a walking pace.
niether is a problem

Peteff

posted on 14/6/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
All weather gear.

If I'm doing anything in the shed I put the car outside. I bought a car cover from Argos for £9.99 and it will cover my car twice so I might cut it in two and save half in case it gets ripped. They do a heavy duty one for £20 that looks as big. I fasten it to the wings with spring pegs off the washing line but it has some elastic and clips with it. It folds up small so you could keep it in the passenger footwell if you wanted to carry it with you. Stretch it over the roll bar and peg it to the floor and you could camp under it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Ison

posted on 16/6/03 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
3 of us just returned from the best part of 900 mile round trip in BECS, easy peasy.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.