Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it me?
MK7

posted on 15/6/03 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Is it me?

Hi,

I picked up my chassis yesterday (Saturday). The kit was missing the rivnut tool (and rivnuts) and I had to ask for the ball joints that I'd ordered.

When I got the kit home and started to sort out the various bits and pieces, in particular the fitting of the polybushes, I came across a problem.

I'd ordered the chassis to be powder coated and very nice it is too. The wishbones and rear uprights also come coated. Unfortunately, the tubes (sorry for lack of technical terminology) into which the polybushes fit are all (100% of cases) blocked to some degree with metal from when the tubes were cut.

It's not a problem to remove this excess metal with a round file but I then end up with more bare metal than I would have liked, metal that needs to be treated to minimise rust.

Have others experienced this or is it just me?

Are my expectations a bit higher than they ought to be? I'd have thought it would have been reasonable for MK to clear out these tubes before powder coating, I'm sure that anyone cutting their own tubes would have cleaned them up before committing to powder coating.

I've tried fitting the polybushes into the tubes by way of a vice and plenty of soapy water but I'm getting nowhere. I've been reluctant to file the insides of the tube so far but unless I get some better advice then that's tomorrow's task.

My aim here is not to criticise but to understand

Thanks

Russell

skippad

posted on 15/6/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
is it me?

On my wishbones there was just a fine weld line on inside of tube, if yours is the same, the easiest way is to file a small trough in the poly bushes rather than file metal (i used a dremmel mini grinder) then pressed bushes in with a vice & bit of grease. I hope this helps.
p.s. my mk is up for test wed 18th 8.00am! Gulp!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK7

posted on 16/6/03 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the SVA on Wednesday.

I took a look at the polybush website
http://www.polybush.co.uk/index.htm
which strongly recommends not taking any material off the bushes.

In my case the inside welds seem OK, but the inside diameter is reduced because the cut ends of the tubes are partially filled , see my photo archive. It's not a big deal but it does somewhat negate the value of the power coating.

Good luck

Russell

SteveO

posted on 16/6/03 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Russel,

We met when u picked up your kit. I think we all had the metal bits in the tube. I took a tip from a build diary whee i put the bushes in the fridge and took them out as needed. Had no problems fitting mine using a bench-vice.
Copper grease for the steel insert..smooth as Jack Dee..JB

Steve

MK7

posted on 16/6/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I never thought of putting them in the fridge, I'll give it a go.

I've been using my black and decker work bench to push them in but without success. I've removed the excess metal so let's see how the fridge trick works...

Russell

MK7

posted on 16/6/03 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm amazed...

The fridge trick worked a treat. Thanks Steve

Russell

SteveO

posted on 16/6/03 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff,

happy building matey

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, I agree that the burrs really should not be there ever, but even more so prior to powder coating......

However, I recommend getting a proper de-burring tool...much easier than dicking around with a round file...you just stick in in your tube end or hole, a quick spin around and voila......beautiful burr free hole.

They are not expensive, the blades last a long time and are cheap....Noga is a good make.

[Edited on 16/6/03 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 17/6/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
You guys are a bunch o' soft southern shandy drinkin' jessies!

Vices, workmates, fridges- pah!

Put one bush in each end of the tube, cup it in your hand and squeeze together- voila!

Hope that helps,

James

P.S. If you can't manage that then put one bush on the edge of you table, sit the bush tube over it. Put other bush sitting on tube and crush tube balanced on that.
Apply club hammer and smack 'em together in one- job done!

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 17/6/03 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree poly brushes were a bit tight but a qiuck bit of gentle persuasion with a wooden mallet (or club hammer wrapped in bubble wrap) worked fine!!!
BTW Finished my GCSEs today

ned

posted on 17/6/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
congrats ben on finishing the exams etc.

best of luck come august (21st?)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

MK7

posted on 17/6/03 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I'd best respond to this seeing as I got it started and particularly seeing as the southeners are having a go :-)

The burrs weren't a problem except that I've now got bare metal where there ought to be powder coating.

The bushes were a definite problem.

It took a great deal of vice to get one side in then I used an M12 bolt to pull the other in. It was a very, very tight fit. Having no previous experience of dealing with such a stubborn bush :-) I just have to assume this is the norm. It seems like there's quite a bit of variation in the spec.

As an aside, the other point that I found after fitting the bushes was the the mounting brackets on the Indy chassis needed a bit of adjustment (Large rubber mallet) to fine tune both the width of the brackets and the spacing between the brackets.

Is it me?

GJ Warren

posted on 17/6/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
nice bush pun !!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.