Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Different BEC Differential Needed
The Great Fandango

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Different BEC Differential Needed

Just got my Yamaha Fazer 1000 engined Velocity back from Holeshot Racing of Bradford (who by the way are moving to Ireland two weeks from now)...

A dyno-jet kit, racing airbox/filter, and rolling road session gave me a 16bhp increase - I'll well chuffed with that!

One comment passed to me was that they presumed I was getting through the gears quickly.

I smiled with delight as I thought I was just being stupid. Apparently my top speed on the rolling road was only 105-110mph. I now realise why I was hitting the rev limit at Cadwell last week.

Sure enough, the differential is geared quite low. I'm told it's a standard Ford 3.92:1. This is presumably a little too low for a BEC?

Please any of you BEC briggade suggest the best replacement, and what kind of money we're looking at? There are a few Sierra ones on eBay at the moment.

Even better, does anyone have one for sale or sitting unused?

Any help much appreciated

Kyle, Leeds

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

esn163

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

You may find this thread useful. Sierra 3.62 or 3.38 (if you can find one at a decent price) seem to be the ones to use in a BEC.

HTH

Ed

[Edited on 10/2/07 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you need the rocking horse poo of sierra diffs 3,14

Wadders

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what size wheels your running, and what you want from the car 3.92 will be very busy. 3.62 with 15" wheels is ok, fairly common and come with LSD. 3.38 is a good alround safe bet, but you might have to wait a while for one to come up (usually open diffs). You can also get 3.14 open diffs, but they're like the holy grail, and command silly money. It also depends on the reduction gearing of your particular engine, theres an excell spreadsheet kicking around somewhere that calculates top speed with different ratios.

Al.

Originally posted by The Great Fandango
Just got my Yamaha Fazer 1000 engined Velocity back from Holeshot Racing of Bradford (who by the way are moving to Ireland two weeks from now)...

A dyno-jet kit, racing airbox/filter, and rolling road session gave me a 16bhp increase - I'll well chuffed with that!

One comment passed to me was that they presumed I was getting through the gears quickly.

I smiled with delight as I thought I was just being stupid. Apparently my top speed on the rolling road was only 105-110mph. I now realise why I was hitting the rev limit at Cadwell last week.

Sure enough, the differential is geared quite low. I'm told it's a standard Ford 3.92:1. This is presumably a little too low for a BEC?

Please any of you BEC briggade suggest the best replacement, and what kind of money we're looking at? There are a few Sierra ones on eBay at the moment.

Even better, does anyone have one for sale or sitting unused?

Any help much appreciated

Kyle, Leeds

alister667

posted on 11/2/07 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
If you current setup is permanent (wheels, tyre sizes etc) and a 3.92:1 diff ratio gives you 107mph then a 3.38 diff should give you 124mph. This should give you much better cruising.
BTW If my maths is wrong someone let me know!!!
I'd try that before searching for a 3.14 - they cost a fortune!

All the best

Ali

PS

Holeshot Racing of Bradford (who by the way are moving to Ireland two weeks from now)...

I'd heard about this - didn't really believe it - somewhere in Co Down - anyone have any more info?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 11/2/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I am running 3.62 LSD with 205/50 15 tyres which gears mine to about 130mph..

Plenty for a locost imho...

If you are running smaller circumference tyres you will need a lower ratio of 3.38 or 3.14..

3.38 or 3.14 LSD's are VERY rare and expensive, so you will probably end up with an open diff..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

snapper

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I sold a 3.38 ( befor i knew the true cost) for £100 to AB performance a year ago, he gets his diffs stripped of the crown wheel and pinion and puts them on a LSD.
Its the crown wheel and pinon that you want, once you have that then with the right money you can have any ratio built with a LSD.
Reversing boxes for BEC's will give you a ratio step up instead of searching for the elusive 3.38 and 3.14.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iiyama

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest then, what will a 3.38 diff, 'Busa and 15/16" wheels give me in return??

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

TimC

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone has a 3:38 that they want rid of please let me know...

richard thomas

posted on 11/2/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
try this..
iiyama

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, but I only have XL viewer so cant change anything!

Ill have a dig around and see if I can come up with the full XL....

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

richard thomas

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at this one instead, i've changed the diff setting.
BenB

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
You could download OpenOffice... that should accept it and its free....

On my ST1100 BEC I've got 14" wheels with a 3.9 diff. Top wack 118mph (calculated) @ 8500rpm. That's okay for me. Keeps the acceleration rapid but giving a rpm of 5k for national speed limit (about the same as my Micra!!).... I can see why supernutter screamer BEC drivers might want a long diff for motorway cruising... Anything above 5k for any period of time might be a PITA (then again, I'm building an intercom / mp3 device so I'd just turn up the volume!!).. MPG- that's a different story....

iiyama

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers bud! Informative! Any chance of doing one more with 16" wheels??

Pretty please??

richard thomas

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Programme doesn't have a 16" setting, if you can work out what the circumference would be (of the tyre that is) i can input it in manually...
iiyama

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ah! Ok, no worries! Dont actually no what the profile would be yet, so cant do the maths!

I guess 16's will make the theoretical acceleration a little slower and the top end a little more? Aerodynamics, (or lack of!), aside that is!!

richard thomas

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
That's correct, not sure how much difference you'd notice though...i was told not to go too big on the diameter as it upsets the handling. W*stfield's megabusa's run 13" as standard. I'm running 15's.
iiyama

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
The Dax will take up to 17's, I like the look, but dont want the wieght!

So may well end up with 15's. However If i feel extravigant I may go for Dymags, in which case Ill fit 16's!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ive amended the spreadsheet linked in my avatar to include some bling wheels sizes up to 17"

I don't really know what the prefered tyre sizes would be but I chose sizes that seemed to be quite commonly available from BlackCircles etc, and small enough sizes that (relatively) won't look too ridiculous on a BEC :p

Chris

[Edited on 11/2/07 by ChrisGamlin]

birt

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Reversing boxes for BEC's will give you a ratio step up instead of searching for the elusive 3.38 and 3.14.

I have recently been looking for exactly this. Allens Performance used to have them but when I enquired last week, they replied to say that they no longer sell them and that I should speak to Nova Racing. (Allens Performance have since removed them from their website) The reversing boxes on the Nova Racing website look identical to those that were on Allens Performance website but there is no mention of a step-up ratio. I emailed Nova Racing last Wednesday to ask if it does have a ratio but so far had no reply (struggle to ring them with the time difference).

Anybody know anything more on this?

This Excel spreadsheet has the option of Z-Cars overdrive. Does anybody know anything about this? I can’t find a mention of it on the Z-Cars website.

Thanks

Marc

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
The spreadsheet originates from about 5-6 years ago and as it was originally written by Simon Ranson who owned the yellow ZCars twin ZX9 Tiger, I strongly suspect that the step-up ratio relates to the twin engine'd car which had a transfer box to link the two engines together and also had a step-up ratio, so no good for a single engine install.

I could be wrong but the Allens and possibly Quaife are the only boxes I seem to recall with a mention of a step-up in gearing.

birt

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
Arse!

Quaife don't appear to do one (their reverse box is direct drive according to their website), Allens have stopped selling them, Nova Racing don't reply to enquiries and the Z-Cars overdrive is not suitable!

You would have thought that there was a good market for these things. Everybody's scrambling around paying fortunes for 3.14 and 3.38 diffs and then having to pay more for them to be rebuilt with LSD internals. The reverse box would pay for itself if it came with a suitable step-up ratio.

I did try ringing Nova Racing but it was constantly engaged. I will try again and, for the benefit of those that are interested, let you know

Marc

iiyama

posted on 12/2/07 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Seems everybody is finding difficulty getting hold of a 3.38. I must have been very lucky without realising it!

Paid a tenner!

G.Man

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Seems everybody is finding difficulty getting hold of a 3.38. I must have been very lucky without realising it!

Paid a tenner!

To be fair, with your car, I would rather have an LSD 3.62 than an open 3.38...

If however you have a 3.38 LSD...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

iiyama

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Probably wont stay Ford internals anyway. Thinking about a Quaife ATB.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.