Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Book; SVA and the law
blakep82

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Book; SVA and the law

anygood?

Is it a viable substitue for the SVA manual? £40 is a bit extreme, although i think i've got a decent handle on SVA requirements (common sense and E marks generally)

[Edited on 7/3/07 by blakep82]

lsdweb

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
blakep82

Use this site! There is awealth of experience on here that would cover< i guess, any question!!!

Wyn
(I hate SVA btw - did it once and never again !)

blakep82

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
true enough, but sometimes i need to see thing in writing, and sometimes on here you can often get a few different variations on answers.

eg: steering shafts, looking at the draft manual from 2004 (which is likely to have changed, i know) it says as long as you have 2 universal joints, offset by more that 10 deg each, then thats ok (2 universal joints and/or collapsable shaft, i think it says) yet many people say you have to have a collapsable shaft or collumn.

sometimes i just need to read it from the horses mouth, but not for £40

Paul (Notts)

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
see this thread

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52085

need broadband its 19MB

Paul

blakep82

posted on 7/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha, nice one Paul!

it doesn't seem to mention the 'need' for a collapsale/telescopic shaft.

considering what it says about chassis design though, hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, as i don't anticipate the rack moving much in a crash, just some kind of absorbing material behind the bumper (expanding foam or something) should do the trick...

just noticed, i meant to post this under the SVA/legal section...

[Edited on 7/3/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I bought it and to be honest it has got some useful info imbetween all of the adds, so I would say yes it is worth a tenner but only just.

No way a substitute though more of easier to understand illustrations on some of the more complex bits.

Regards

Rich

[Edited on 7/3/07 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ProjectX

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
How come its £40?

Says £10 on the front!!!

RichardK

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
37 notes for the pukka sva manual or this is a cut down version from a mag publisher for a tenner.

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
see, the sva download seems to say you don't have to have a brake fluid warning light, as long as you can see the fluid through the resevoir without taking off the cap.

I thought you had to have a light?!

all very confusing...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ProjectX

posted on 7/3/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well you get what ya pay for.

£10 or £40?

If ya follow the legal/correct option you cant go wrong! Better than going to SVA and failing on some stupid thing!

whats £30 difference. Few drinks up the pub!

Mmmmm Drink!

Chippy

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased the SVA manual, (2004 ed), and was very glad that I did. I believe that this ed. is still current. If you need any info, U2U me and I will email you copy of the relavent section. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

blakep82

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
^ cheers fella! saved the link from earlier in this thread, it seems to be the full 2004 ed (not the draft i had before)

02GF74

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've got that; useful but nowhere near the full story.

To be honest I wouldn't bother.

You can the full SVA (not the one on DVLA site that is draft) from various sources for free. For example if you asked me nicely kind of thing.

Any questions you have, search on here - as almost certainly anything you'll come across someone has already jumped through that hoop - or else ask.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.