Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo'd Pinto
splitrivet

posted on 11/8/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo'd Pinto

Hey up guys has anyone had experience of turbocharging a Pinto engine.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

VinceGledhill

posted on 10/9/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I was about to ask the same question, but as you have beaten me too it, it looks not.

You could try fitting your own system, a good book is called Maximum Boost, Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger systems. By Corky Bell.

It's a Yankie book but would be a good starting point.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/9/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep its called the cosworth.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

timf

posted on 10/9/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
i did some contracting work for ford at duntton whilst the cossie development was happening and at that time there was some parall devolpment work done on a low compression pinto engine using sierra injection parts and a ihi turbo system the engineers got the thing to produce about 300 bhp reliably but the decision was taken to go with cosworth for the flagship of the range. obviousley the advantage we had was that we had access to the ford ecu but it could be done using somrthing like the emerald ecu etc the biggest problem was a lack of a suitable maifold and the test one was a stainless steel tubular jobbie.

so it is possible to do it with very good results.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/9/03 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
isnt the 2.3 engine fitted to the merkur in usa a pinto? Its turbo'd too.....

also

there is a turbo group on yahoo

timf

posted on 11/9/03 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
2.3 engine block is slightly longer than 2.0 and heads are different length hence exhaust wont quite fit 2.0
VinceGledhill

posted on 11/9/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I my look at turbo charging my pinto at a later date. (only built the chassis so far and haven't stripped the donor Sierra yet)

I will probably go for a decent sized turbo from a 2.0 or 2.5 litre car.

The idea being that the lag will be higher up the rev range but when it get's there there will be more boost.

According to the Corky bell book you can cut your 0-60 times quite easily with an intercooled turbo system by 2/3 which means an increase from 6 seconds to 4 seconds. Yes I understand that this would be more difficult to acheve in a real world situation than theory but it has been done simply by chosing the right turbo and 9 second cars have been known to do the leap in 6.

For me it is a good cheap solution because I have a tig welder already and can do all the pipework myself out of off cuts. Blow this through the carb and hey presto....

Don't know how it will all fit under the bonnet yet. Something that will need the side pannels off for I've no doubt.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

timf

posted on 11/9/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VinceGledhill
Blow this through the carb and hey presto....

/quote]

if your using a standard carb then by blowing through it is necessary to presureise the entire carb.

the most common way for turbo-ing cards is to opt for suck thru or to use a set of webber 45 dcoe sp carbs as fitted to the lotus esprit turbo.
if yourve got a tig then it may be better to use an injection system and aftermarket ecu.

tim

Dale

posted on 11/9/03 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I have a mostly rebuild 2.3 turbo in my garage thats going in my locost. its going to require a very big shoehorn. Let alone the massive hood scoop. With injection the engine height is 28.5 inches and maybe able to cut 1 inch out the pan max( bell housing is at that height. ) But if you dont mind a scoop and want cheap hp then its a viable option.200hp is easily attainable with little to no internal mods just extra boost.300hp is easy if you have some cash.- Also can save some money as you dont have to build a header for it
Dale

A Badger

posted on 11/9/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
How interchangable are the parts from the CVH Turbo?

I've seen Hybrid CVH Zetec turbo motors which produce good figures.

Noodle

posted on 11/9/03 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
There was a MKII RS2000 in CCC about 4 years ago that was running a turbo 8v Pinto. Chappy was claiming IRO 340 bhp.

A recent clear-out saw that magazine chucked out, but it may trigger someone's memory and scanner

The car was on the front cover and was a sort of terracotta/orangey hue.

Neil.

accident

posted on 11/9/03 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
both janspeed and turbo technics did a turbo kit for injected pintos.
they are out there look on ebay and browse the rs and xr type sites

RichyMkIndy

posted on 12/9/03 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
isnt the 2.3 engine fitted to the merkur in usa a pinto? Its turbo'd too.....

Yes the Merkur Sierra was an XR4Ti which i have a picture of at home from when i went to CA. It is exactly the same as the XR4i V6 but with a turbo i think, it looks the same as the UK XR4i anyway......

Rich

DaveFJ

posted on 12/9/03 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It is exactly the same as the XR4i V6 but with a turbo i think

So not a pinto then....

Do i take it that no one currently produces a suitable turbo kit for the pinto?

David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/03 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've always fancied a supercharger - I love the sound and the instant power.

I wonder if I could fit one on my X-flow?

David

P.S. I know it's possible, but not necessarily practical!

timf

posted on 12/9/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
the xr4ti in the states was a 2.3 pinto tubocharged thing that had the same body as the xr4i here in the uk

there used to be kits available for turboing pinto from the capri club which used a 2" Su card in a suck thru configuration you may be able to find one of these also tubo technics did kits for the injection pintos

thetankwad

posted on 12/9/03 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Garret T2 and an intercooler for it sitting around. you fancy it? wouldn't generate huge boost in a 2 litre, but you would have almost no lag and good response!!!

--Lets get down to Business!--

CHARLESB

posted on 12/9/03 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Many moons ago I used to work for Turbo Technics, and we had a very nice exhaust manifold for the pinto. Most of the cars we did were injected, with an additional injector and a module to inect on boost. You can suck through a carb, or you can blow through. If you blow like a renault 5 you either need a special carb, or you can do what Lotus used to do, which was put the whole carb in a box, and pressurise the box... no problem with throttle spindles etc.
Remember you need to drop the compression ratio for any serious boosting.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
the metro turbo ran a pressurised SU carb.

it also had to have the fuel pressurised to the carb.....

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a MG Metro turbo, a bit of a disappointing car, when i bought it i thought it would be a real firecracker - more of a damp squib.

My Mrs was driving it and pulled out of a junction in 2nd gear (she is confused by gears!), and a car was bearing down on her - she paniced and floored it - nothing. The revs slowly crept up to 2200 and the car launched itself straight through a roundabout (yes over the top) - Mrs still panicing selected one of the remaining 2 gears without using the clutch or releasing the throttle from its crushed position in the now deformed floor. She managed to redline the car in third (at least I think it was third) and clipped one of those really ugly alloys on a high kerb.

She never drove it again - I had to buy her another Fiat panda

Not long after, 3rd gear relocated itself into the bulkhead whilst I was driving to work - wonder why?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Noodle

posted on 13/9/03 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
According to my old David Vizard A-series bible, the torque in the MG was heavily modulated to stop the gearbox going bang (which it did anyway)

If you look at the boost level, it stops climbing very early in the rev range.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/9/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I used to have a MG Metro turbo, a bit of a disappointing car, when i bought it i thought it would be a real firecracker - more of a damp squib.

My Mrs was driving it and pulled out of a junction in 2nd gear (she is confused by gears!), and a car was bearing down on her - she paniced and floored it - nothing. The revs slowly crept up to 2200 and the car launched itself straight through a roundabout (yes over the top) - Mrs still panicing selected one of the remaining 2 gears without using the clutch or releasing the throttle from its crushed position in the now deformed floor. She managed to redline the car in third (at least I think it was third) and clipped one of those really ugly alloys on a high kerb.

She never drove it again - I had to buy her another Fiat panda

Not long after, 3rd gear relocated itself into the bulkhead whilst I was driving to work - wonder why?

I found out the following when I owned one.

1. It was pretty reasonable in power - about 9 secs to 60 - good for a metro, but an uno turbo was way better.

2. it would rev to destrcution - 114 mph top speed in 4th (no 5th!) would go way past that.........blown engine anyone?

3. They blow third gear regularly - i heard 20,000 miles. Its essentially a 38 hp gearbox with 93 hp going thro it.

4. the head valve seals go regularly - about 20k again.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/9/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
According to my old David Vizard A-series bible, the torque in the MG was heavily modulated to stop the gearbox going bang (which it did anyway)

If you look at the boost level, it stops climbing very early in the rev range.

It was only boosted to 4psi - 7 psi maximum - which was only reached at about 5,500 rpm, when you had to change gear.

Boost could be increased by adjusting a spring in the plegnum chamber. But that would have really killed the gearbox!

atb

steve

Simon

posted on 15/9/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I kept blowing the head gasket on my Metro Turbo powered Mini.

Well I did used to pop it up to 12/14 lb pressure!

Also, I did away with the "computer" cos that only allowed certain boost for a given rpm. Without it, full boost straight away.

And yeah, I knackered the box too.

Finally, the carb was blow through and had a clamp on the top of the dashpot to hold the lid on!!

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.