Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wind roar
David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wind roar

Looking for sensible suggestions...

I've just got back from a 280 mile round trip to Newark, mostly on fast dual-cabbageway A-roads.

On the way out I put foam ear plugs in, but when I stopped for petrol halfway there I took them out again as I had a headache and earache. Without them the headache went away, but I now have slight tinnitus (hopefully temporary) from the wind roar. The plugs I use are comfortable enough, but I just don't like having my ears bunged up for long periods when wearing a crash helmet.

We had a thread a little while back about recommended earplugs, but I think I may have to find a different solution. I have used earmuffs and goggles in the past, but I do like the protection offered by a helmet (from flying stuff, mainly).

I know that some helmets are better than others, but I can't afford a decent new helmet just at the moment, and there's no guarantee that it would be any better.

So, what options can I try?

cheers,
David

Ketchup

posted on 17/6/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
i use a nike headband thingy, makes me look like an extra out of "fame", but it just covers up the ears and the forehead, works really well for the cold/wind noise
StevieB

posted on 17/6/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe an expensive solution, but Peltor do a helmet with built in ear protection, and for a bit more money a built in intercom too.
Peteff

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Moto GP trick

put some gaffer tape over your ears

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cant help with the ear plugs but you don't suppose you were too close to the Viper engine?
Daimo_45

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I teach drums for 1-2 hours at a time and the amplitude of that is around 100-120 dbspl what is a tad louder than most cars. They proof well and are extremely comfortable. The foam earplugs are rubbish.

EARPLUGS

MikeR

posted on 17/6/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've got those plugs plus a set that are very similar but have a smaller stem. you might find those stick out a little too far.

Do a search as i've posted about the ones i use before.

Also, a company has not just started doing mould your own bikers ear plugs for aroud 30 quid. If they work its a bargin.

(and to really pee you off, i've been nagging my gig buddy for a year to get ear plugs, she's finally done it and ......... won a competition to get custom moulded plugs + adapters to make them into monitors.)

David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Cant help with the ear plugs but you don't suppose you were too close to the Viper engine?

Could be!

Although I had my fingers in my ears every time after the first blast...

miegru

posted on 17/6/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Windroar is about the most dangerous sounds for long term hearing reduction or so I'm told.

5 years ago I went to check the price on one-off made to measure earplugs. I payed €65 for a pair with filters into them. These are exactly the same earplugs as used by Dutch motorbike police.

In one word: FANTASTIC! No irritation (even after a trip like Netherlands - Italy), no wind noise and best of all; normal conversation is possible. The filter allows certain frequenties. Can be worn with or without a helmet.

Without the filter they ware only €45.

Go for the made to measure ones. I use them in the workshop too.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miegru
Windroar is about the most dangerous sounds for long term hearing reduction or so I'm told.

That's my main worry - I used to do a lot of full-bore pistol and rifle shooting, and have developed the habit of looking after my hearing - hence my concern here. It's one of the main occupational health risks for police bike riders, I believe - although they have the added problems of sirens and loud radio sets to add to the risk.

My current thoughts are to get a pair of BMX goggles and combine those with a pair of ear defenders - I have about 3 or 4 pairs of those! My main problem with the goggles is that I wear glasses - but I'm sure that someone must make a pair that would suit.

Mind you, I've just spent the last 30 minutes or so cleaning the bugs off my visor, helmet and car - all the way home I could hear regular thwacks as various flying things hit my visor. Without the helmet they would have hurt!

worX

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid I don't know what it's called, but if you go into your local bike accessory shop, my local one is J&S Accessories, and ask them about windstop's for helmets!

Shoei do one, it is a type of rubber that stretches round the base of the helmet, and when on, it sits tight(ish) round your neck and prevents wind ingress into the helmet!

cheers,
Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/07 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean - but it wouldn't work on my helmet as it's a flip-front type.

Peteff

posted on 18/6/07 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Caberg style?

One of my mates bought a Caberg for biking and can't use it because it's too noisy for him with the front down. I find wearing a balaclava under my helmet keeps the noise down but it's a bit warm. There are silk ones available but I've not tried one of those.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - Caberg, which in many ways I like as it's very convenient and comfortable. When I bought it, some reviewers said it was noisy, others said it wasn't. Maybe it depends on the size & shape of the rider's head (or the size of the brown envelope given to the reviewer!).

02GF74

posted on 18/6/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

My current thoughts are to get a pair of BMX goggles and combine those with a pair of ear defenders - I have about 3 or 4 pairs of those! My main problem with the goggles is that I wear glasses - but I'm sure that someone must make a pair that would suit.

think you mean MX goggles

Oakley do a pait so unless you wear huge elton john glasses, they should fit over them - there are recess in the side so that the frames are not pressed into you head.

The locost solution that I use to prevent earch whilst cylcling in winter is to take some bits of unused toilet paper, moisten, then plug into ears. they do make things qieter - whether it will be enuf for you, who can say. they have the added bonuse of cleaning your ears at the same time.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
think you mean MX goggles

Them's the puppies!

Not sure I fancy shoving paper in my ears - it's having my ears plugged up that bothered me in the first place.

I'll have a look at the ones you suggested.

cheers,
David

Marcus

posted on 18/6/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've always had this problem, I've got a full screen and don't like helmets, so I bought a couple of sets of Peltor ear defenders - absolutely fab and I think look cool, like you're wearing rally intercoms!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 18/6/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
i wore my coolmax Sparco balaclave helmet on this weekend trip, cut down some of the wind and wasnt too warm, On way down i had PSP ear plugs in, couldnt hear the music that well and give me horrible ear ache so took them out after a while.

Depending on where i put my arm on the steering wheel i could cut down some of the buffeting, i also pulled collar of coat up high which help to take some of the wind away.

Ive had a Mac1 type ZR aeroscreen for which ive heard are better than most for directing wind away. Just fitted a Work aeroscreen which is apparently better still. Type ZR screen now for sale.

The main problem i had from my Nitro lid was horrid pain to top of forehead but this is probs cos of my large head.

Peteff

posted on 18/6/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
this is probs cos of my large head.

Of course it's not, now fetch us a stone of spuds in your cap When my mate was trying them on in the shop and their largest helmet didn't fit they told him the only thing bigger was the box it came in.

yours, Pete

smart51

posted on 20/6/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've been told that helmets all come in the same shell size and have different thicknesses of foam to make them difference sizes. Perhaps an XS helmet is quieter than the equivelent XL
les

posted on 29/6/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
hi,

i ride a bike to work everyday, and have tried everything to kill the noise!!

somew helmets are worse than others- with a helmet on the noise mainly comes from the wind rushing over the open bottom of the helmet- you can get a fabric skirt which fits over the bottom and stops it,
otherwise fitted earplugs are the way- superb.

les

David Jenkins

posted on 29/6/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, as I said up-front, wearing earplugs for any length of time gives me a head- and ear-ache. I haven't tried fitted ones, but I'm reluctant to spend a packet on something that may not work anyway.

What I need is one of these but the price is just over £300. It does have built-in earmuffs though!

cheers,
David

[Edited on 29/6/07 by David Jenkins]

posted on 29/6/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
The advise about the helmet skirt is ace, but it doesn't work on your type of lift up lid.

So David try this, and promise not to laugh.

Double sided tape a piece of sponge to the face plate of your lathe.

Using a small wire brush in a drill as a cutting tool turn it into a sort of mole hill shape. (make 2)

Using more d/s tape stick them in your helmet so that they line up with your ears.

If you like you can dimple the centres so they don't press on your ears quite so much.

Perhaps we should both get out more.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 7/7/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've gone for plan 'B' - a pair of MX goggles and earmuff-style protectors.

I feel like Mr Toad in the goggles (or maybe Crazy Frog), and I get some funny looks due to the earmuffs, but do I care?

Not that you'd notice, cos' now I'm nice and comfy...

David Jenkins

posted on 30/7/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rats!

A late update...

I went for a drive on Sunday, and decided to wear my helmet as there was a high risk of puddles. As I was getting stuff together I found a pair of E.A.R earplugs - the bog-standard yellow foam cylindrical jobs.

And guess what? They were comfortable, effective and I didn't have a headache at the end of a fast 30 minute journey.

I'd spent loads of time and money faffing around with all sorts of fancy bikers' earplugs, none of which did the job, only to find that the basic everyday items were the best available!

Ah well... such is life...

BTW: by experimentation, I've worked out that the wind noise comes from the top of the gap between the helmet shell and the flip-front. Naff all I can do about it.

[Edited on 30/7/07 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.