Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More electrical q's
Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 19/10/03 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
More electrical q's

I've started to do plumbing and wiring and both time I have been stopped short. What has everyone done with wiring?

Have you a): stripped out all the lights and horn etc wires from the bike loom and then made your own seperate curcuits for the lights etc.
or b): adapted the bike loom and used it for horn and lights etc.

Also dash wiring can any one tell me the order and colours of the wires going in to the back of the dash? I think I know which ones they are but I dont know the order!

Ok and last question: Has everyone else got a bike fuse box, as my loom doesn't have one! and so wondering if I should buy one or make one as I have loads of old car fuse boxes around?
Cheers for any help
Ben

JoelP

posted on 19/10/03 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
what dash are you using? on a sierra one its really easy to take the back off and see what wire does what.

what switches are you using? if they dont match a loom you have then i personally would start a new loom and only use the bike stuff for the engine. Lights are quite simple, its only engine stuff that gets more complex.

anyway good luck...

are bikes 6v nowadays or 12v?

[Edited on 19/10/03 by JoelP]

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 19/10/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
using zx9r dash (dials not digital)
Think I will make a seperate loom for lights etc

MK9R

posted on 19/10/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I half way through the wiring at the moment. I ripped out all the lighting circuits and altered the remaining bike loom to get it all the correct lengths. The lighting is taken care of using 7 core trailer board cable. I have used the bike fuse box for everyting, and there seems to be enough fuses, although i haven't seperated right and left hand lights or the fog.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loafersmate

posted on 19/10/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's unheard of here but I 'bought' a loom from vehicle wiring products. It uses all the sierra wiring colours and comes with connectors and a crimp tool........£100 all in and very very easy to fit. I also used some of the old bike loom for the CDI, regulator, coils and starter solenoid.

Ben

benedict

posted on 20/10/03 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I stripped out all of the non-necessary engine wires from the bike's loom and then extended/shortened them all to fit.
I made a separate loom for the non engine stuff so if/when I ever come to swap engines, I can sell the engine with a complete loom and not have to touch the other one.
FWIW if you are going to wrap your own loom, I would strongly reccomend using the proper non-adhesive looming tape (not expensive from Vehcle-Wiring-Products).
Cheers,
Ben

kipper

posted on 21/10/03 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
wiring

Hi Ben. have a look at my posting on the for sale section.I am selling a stuart Taylor locoblade wiring loom. it is complete and does all the lighting and covers all the conections for the bike engine. it also tells you what part of the bike loom to use. complete with the wiring diagram that is very easy to follow. brand new in the original bag.
You could use it then sell copies of the diagram to all the others having bother LOL. Regards... Kipper.

MK9R

posted on 22/10/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go ben a diagram of what wires go where

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 25/10/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring

Isn't it wise to use different fuses for left/right/reg plate lights?

If for whatever reason you get a fault, no lights at all on back. I was advised to wire left/right seperately.

Also, shouldn't the Fog Light be wired to the 'headlight on' circuit to prevent it switching on with sidelights? I think that's an SVA fail.

MK9R

posted on 26/10/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at the fog lights on my "normal" car, and the rear fogs can be turned on when if the sidelights or headlights are on

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.