Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: De-winterizing the Blade
chrisf

posted on 19/5/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
De-winterizing the Blade

Hi Gents:

I'm in the process of de-winterizing the locost blade. I'm changing the oil and the diff oil as well. However, in the two years I've driven the car, I've never changed the coolant. So:

1.) Is it important to do so?

and

2.) How do I go about doing this?

Any help is appreciated.

--Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 20/5/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Normally I would say 'No' coolant doesn't need changing.

However with many homebuilt cars we have bits and pieces in the cooling system that can mean we need to think about changing it more regularly.

For instance; if you have an aluminium cyl' head with an older copper radiator or copper fittings somewhere within the system then this can cause accelerated corrosion within these parts and it may be useful to change the coolant just to flush any particles of corrosion out of the system.

As for how; I would remove the radiator/expansion tank cap and just undo and remove the lowest coolant hose you can find. Replace the hose and refill with your preferred mix of water/anti-freeze etc...

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

chrisf

posted on 20/5/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks. Sounds easy enough!

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 20/5/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say it's a very good idea to replace the coolant.
For one thing if you've never done it, the coolant could have crud from the block in it.
Also anti-freeze breaks down over time- its not really a function of miles done.

It's pretty easy. I use a large gardening seed tray (it'll hold the entire amount of coolant). Drive over that, let the car cool down, pop off the bottom radiator hose, let it drain, put the hose back on and fill her up with the correct ratio (50/50 water Antifreeze is common on bike engines). Its best to use distilled water as tap water has limescale in it which will eventually crud up your block. Personally I use the water which comes out of our dehumidifier!! Its full of bacteria and fungal spores so its no good for drinking but for my cars radiator its excellent (and free ).

marmot0

posted on 20/5/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you bleed the system after filling
smart51

posted on 20/5/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
My R1 engine has a bolt in the water inlet pipe, next to the water pump, that is used for draining the coolant. You don't even have to remove a hose. Take the filler cap off to let air into the system and remove the bolt to let the water out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.