Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: LOCOST HISTORY
ALEXARAS

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
LOCOST HISTORY

Dear Sirs

For the past month I have been giving a marathon with the Greek government for the registration of my Locost.

My locost was SVA'd in England and was 100% legal. Therefore I though exporting it to Greece would be a simple case.
Unfortuantely I was very wrong..

What I need is to let them know that there was a company making these Locosts (my car is based on book).

I heard from a few people that there was a company named "Locost" is that right?

If so, does it still excist? Have you got any piece of information?

Also which is the Locost history?

Anything you know might be of extreme help as I will not be able to register my baby. There is no SVA test.. Not other alternatives i am afraid... Therefore I am seeking for help!!

[Edited on 8/15/2008 by ALEXARAS]

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

BenB

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the "old" Luego was the closest thing. Wasn't that initially run by uncle Ron before they went bust and he went state-side.....?
Humbug

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a car built completely by an individual, or is it based on one of the kits from an established manufacturer? If it is a kit, the manufacturer should be listed on the original UK registration document.

Other than that, the Greek authorities "should" allow a care previously registered in another EU country to be re-registered in Greece (there is some rule or directive or something), even if the chassis was made up from scrathc in someone's garage. It sounds like this is the problem you are having.

Could you get hold of a copy of the original book and some paperwork from the original builder (if known)? That might help convince them.

Good luck

Simon

EDIT: some info here on Wikipedia about the history

[Edited on 15.08.2008 by Humbug]

D Beddows

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I suppose the "old" Luego was the closest thing. Wasn't that initially run by uncle Ron before they went bust and he went state-side.....?

Nah, Ron briefly had a company called Locost Ltd if I recall but I don't know how many chassis they actually built - my memory's a bit hazy but I think after Ron did a runner it bumped along for a bit run by a guy called Mark Benson(?) who raced a Locost for a bit. Luego came along quite a while after the start of the Locost thing. It's a bit of a toss up if Stuart Taylor or MK started making Locost chassis on a commercial basis first (I think it was Stuart Taylor but I could well be wrong) but it certainly wasn't Mr Champion.

BenB

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough!! Looks like it was Locost Ltd run by uncle Ron. Can't think why I've mentally connected them with Luego....
D Beddows

posted on 15/8/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's possible the remains of Locost Ltd became Luego - it's a good while ago tbh so I can't remember all the details. Mr Optimum Balance Products might be able to clear that up but Ron had been a resident of the Costa Del Crime for a while before Luego started trading anyway.
Dangle_kt

posted on 15/8/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just get a British friend to pretend to be the company? Create a letter head should take all of 5 mins, buy them a pay as you go mobile to answer any phone calls (unlikely but at least he knows if that phones rings to answer it with - "hello Locost Company Ltd".

What can they be expecting? Even if they need a Ltd company reg number, creating one only take £50, so worse case you have to get a mate to write a few letters and you pay less than £100 for the phone, a ltd company reg and your sorted. Best case scenario they expect a one off letter on the "letter head" and your LAUGHING.

Obviously it might all go wrong, but if your at a dead end what have you got to loose?

ALEXARAS

posted on 15/8/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I do like your thinking!! This will be my last option then.

As far as i know there used to be Locost Ltd. Is there any possibility i can find some of the company's details.

Thank you all for contributing to this topic. I have even tried to register the car as a classic car (u get different registration plates and there are some limitations, but still you could use the locost on the roads) with no succesful results. I even had a meeting with the chairman who is Irish and he would not give his permission!!

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Why not just get a British friend to pretend to be the company? Create a letter head should take all of 5 mins, buy them a pay as you go mobile to answer any phone calls (unlikely but at least he knows if that phones rings to answer it with - "hello Locost Company Ltd".

What can they be expecting? Even if they need a Ltd company reg number, creating one only take £50, so worse case you have to get a mate to write a few letters and you pay less than £100 for the phone, a ltd company reg and your sorted. Best case scenario they expect a one off letter on the "letter head" and your LAUGHING.

Obviously it might all go wrong, but if your at a dead end what have you got to loose?

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

ALEXARAS

posted on 15/8/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Here are some helpful info I think.

http://www.sra.co.za/PitStop/locost/Locost.htm

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kitcar_manufacturer_details.php?75

http://www.funcar.ecclesweb.co.uk/lcostlinks.html

Is lolocost related to Locost?

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

BenB

posted on 15/8/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nope. Lolocost is an offspring of Robin Hood who have changed hands quite a few times recently.....
loggyboy

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not trace it back further and claim the locost chassis was a Lotus 7? If your gonna lie might as well use a lie with lots of history and back up info.

Mistral Motorsport

D Beddows

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you realy think it would help I'm sure I've got at least 1 magazine somewhere in the pile that has a Locost Ltd advert of some kind...... I'll have a look this weekend and if you u2u me an email address I'll send you a scan of anything I find
D Beddows

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
In fact you probably want something like this?

[img][/img]

U2U me your address and I'll send you the actual page if you want

wicket

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I originally ordered my chassis and GRP from Locost Ltd at around the time the company got into difficulties and the company that become Luego picked up the ordered, I was lucky I had not paid Locost Ltd any money.

I think the company that became Luego run by Grant (OBP) and Matt (Casarva) were manufacturing chassis etc for Locost.

t.j.

posted on 16/8/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is how it works:

EU DOC

Let him read this.
They have the right to refuse the UK-SVA.
But they have to say why. So not just because it's a SVA. They have to accept the SVA and may do additional testing on those part they think it's needed.
See page 18-19 on individual approval.

good luck and let us know how it ends!

link In GR .....

[Edited on 16/8/08 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

ALEXARAS

posted on 22/8/08 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all very much.
I will keep you informed as soon as I have some news.

Regards
Alexis

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

l0rd

posted on 22/8/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Alexara plz let us know how your progress as i am planning to do the same thing. Build my Kit car here and export it to greece hoping that since i will have UK number plates, they are obliged to provide us with Greek ones as well.

I am even worst as i am designing a complete custom made chassis for me to fit.

L0rd

[Edited on 22/8/08 by l0rd]

l0rd

posted on 23/8/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Alexara, A couple of questions if you can answer:

Do you know the reason they don't want to give greek number plates?
Is it because of the chassis?
Does this mean that If it was a tiger chassis which is a car manufacturer, they would give you number plates? or does it have to be a complete factory build?

From another point of view!

Assuming you have a UK registered car and you have it aboard. How long can you keep it there? What is the situation with MOT, TAX and insurance?
Mot could expire, tax the same, insurance has to provide you with green card for a limited time?

Can anybody help?

L0rd

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.