Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: shock settings
Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 31/12/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
shock settings

How do you know what settings ( how compressed the springs are) to put the shocks on do you just adjust to make the car level etc. or is there a recommended setting?
Thanks
Ben
P.s. Happy New Year

alister667

posted on 4/1/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
When I was building mine I left the dampers at their least stiff, and left the springs at their least compressed. I was at the track yesterday for the first time (Yeehhaaawww!) and some of the more experienced BEC blokes wound the dampers up to about 8 clicks out of 13. I might adjust the springs later , as she is sitting quite tall, but the extra clearence will be handy as the roads in N. Ireland are rubbish.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 4/1/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I started off with about 50% damper rate, springs set to give 4" ground clearance, tyres mid 20s...Far too hard! Tyres now run at 18lb, dampers set at about 20% of max setting, springs set to give 4" still. The ride is much better and understeer is reduced to give neutral cornering. Go too hard and the ride knocks the car on public roads all over the place and understeer on turn in. Still will oversteer like mad but that needs my right foot adjusted! Suspect MK recommended front springs at 325lb too hard for zetec engined car, might change to 275/300lb for road use.
David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've mentioned here before the accident that my son's friend had in his Caterham Superlight. He managed to roll it, which is quite an achievement! (He'd side-swiped a kerb on a wet road).

It went off to Caterham to be fixed, and when he got it back they said that the springs & dampers had been set to maximum, and that they were amazed that he'd managed to keep it on the road...

rgds,

David

alister667

posted on 5/1/04 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
By 'maximum' do you man softest or hardest?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mostly it was the shocks set too hard - they were almost solid, apparently. (Isn't it hard to describe the action of a shock absorber in a few words? ) - what I'm trying to describe is 'maximum resistance to movement'.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that shocks should be set to the 'minimum amount of damping' that still keeps you on the road!

cheers,

David

alister667

posted on 5/1/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Aye that makes sense. I read in the Which Kit MK INdy Pinto build they were happy with the shocks and dampers set to softest. In my limited driving of my own car I have no idea about handling, other than don't accelerate too quick out of corners!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.