Board logo

Good helmet for HANS
spoonana - 3/12/11 at 01:41 PM

Hello once again,

I am going to be doing a full season of locost next year (hopefully) and starting to think about HANS for next year. With the device costing about £350 and a harness costing about £135, the helmet needs to be cheap.

Im currently using a V2 pro and I think it is a brilliant helmet, but V2 Sport won't be doing a HANS helmet for a while so I need to look else where.

Any ideas??

Max

Nick DV - 3/12/11 at 03:37 PM

What about this one http://www.hedtec.co.uk/hedtec_hans.htm

Cheers, Nick

spoonana - 3/12/11 at 04:46 PM

tried this helmet at a track day, it had a tendency to lift at high speed. Probably because it lacks a chin spoiler

noc231073 - 3/12/11 at 05:59 PM

http://www.racinghelmets.com/bell/racer-k1sport.html
I have this helmet and I bought it from the same guys from the US
Super helmet and great guys to deal with worked out great value too

Nick DV - 4/12/11 at 12:27 PM

Many helmets have no chin spoiler and don't lift at high speed. Perhaps it was loose or the wrong size?

Cheers, Nick

quote:
Originally posted by spoonana
tried this helmet at a track day, it had a tendency to lift at high speed. Probably because it lacks a chin spoiler

noc231073 - 4/12/11 at 03:21 PM

Buy the best helmet you can afford .. I know theses cheap helmets are out there and meet certain standards .. But you have only one head....
Would you put cheap oil in you car even if it came up to the standard ?

Nick DV - 4/12/11 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by noc231073
Buy the best helmet you can afford .. I know theses cheap helmets are out there and meet certain standards .. But you have only one head....
Would you put cheap oil in you car even if it came up to the standard ?

Nick, I understand what you are saying, but how far do you go? How much safer/better is a helmet that is £300 instead of £200? Does it mean that a £2000 helmet is 10x better in terms of safety than a £200 one? If these cheaper helmets conform to certain standards, i.e. Snell, FIA etc, then surely they must offer decent protection? It's all relative I suppose, and personal choice.

Cheers, Nick

locost47 - 4/12/11 at 04:12 PM

If a helmet has snell approval & costs 300 & another has same spec is 600 they have both passed identical tests ,the reduction in costs is usually the lining quality & finish , however the cheap one will not last as long used the same amount of times & the cheaper lid tends to soften interior = get loose on your head quicker , this all learnt from buying helmets since 11yrs to 48 approx every 2 yrs ,Christ thats a lot of lids & a shed load of money

Nick DV - 4/12/11 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locost47
If a helmet has snell approval & costs 300 & another has same spec is 600 they have both passed identical tests ,the reduction in costs is usually the lining quality & finish , however the cheap one will not last as long used the same amount of times & the cheaper lid tends to soften interior = get loose on your head quicker , this all learnt from buying helmets since 11yrs to 48 approx every 2 yrs ,Christ thats a lot of lids & a shed load of money

Very good point. Would you say then that a £600 helment would last twice as long as the £300 one? I think you know what I mean

Cheers, Nick

locost47 - 4/12/11 at 04:37 PM

time is relevant with helmets a lid will last longer in dry running than very wet , dehumidifiers are good to pro long life , double the cost may not mean double the life . My pet hate is drivers that once race is over just toss the lid in the seat .