Board logo

Engine angle with dry sump
francy555 - 20/12/08 at 12:36 PM

Hi guys,

I'm currently having issues fitting the hayabusa engine to the RHL, (no suprise there).

I was wondering if the engine is dry sumped does the engine still have to be mounted at the same angle as it would be in the bike or can the engine be tilted so that the engine is running more or less as vertical as possible?

I'm having bother getting the propshaft and sprocket adaptor to run straight, when the engine is in position with a wet sump so I was thinking fitting a dry sump would allow me to tilt the engine towards the vertical bring the propshaft into line with the diff.

Your thoughts?

Francy

iiyama - 20/12/08 at 12:39 PM

Theres no need for the prop to run straight and I was under the impression that its probably better for it to have an offset.

Regarding the sump, it would be better imo to have the sump flat. This in turn will mean that the cylinders are off vertical.

BenB - 20/12/08 at 12:44 PM

It surely depends on how the dry sump is designed. Most dry sumps are designed so that the oil drains towards the pick-up points, if the engine was too angled this might not happen....

stevebubs - 20/12/08 at 12:48 PM

common consensus is parallel flange faces but offset a bit so there is a slight angle in the UJ

francy555 - 20/12/08 at 02:05 PM

How much of an angle do you reckon would work?

Alez - 26/12/08 at 12:36 AM

I think you can have a big angle. I've seen the way that MK Sportscars build LHD R1 Indys and, compared to a RHD, their engine is offset to the right towards the centre of the car quite a lot, resulting in a lot of angle on the UJ (can't tell how much but you may be able to find pictures of the arrangement, I don't have any), together with a long exhaust mainfold. This results in significant power loss on the transmission, though. These LHD MK R1 Indys are currently being used for a private championship here in Spain at the moment. Sorry I can't be more specific

Cheers,

Alex