Board logo

Road tax year after SVA again
Pdlewis - 9/3/10 at 11:13 AM

Hi,

I have had my tax reminder and it say i need an MOT and i only got it SVA'd last year. I have a had a search through and people say you should show the V5 with the date of first reg so I pulled mine out and I have the following details on my v5:

it is registered as an MNR
Date of first reg: 11/02/1992
Date of first reg in the UK 17/04/2009

and on the front I have the following note:
REBUILT - Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new

is this what other people have?

fesycresy - 9/3/10 at 11:22 AM

I can't remember having that on mine.

Tax it on line, SVA gives three years grace.

Pdlewis - 9/3/10 at 11:25 AM

I tried online but it says no MOT present

40inches - 9/3/10 at 11:49 AM

You need a V112, download from here
This question seems to come up on a regular basis.

Humbug - 9/3/10 at 11:51 AM

If they've given you a different number from the donor (even age-related), then even on their logic it is not the same car, therefore the "Date of first reg" is incorrect - their mistake, First off I would contact them and try to get them to make the correction for you.

Also, the other comment "REBUILT - Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new" can't all be true: "Rebuilt" implies it existed in the first place, which it didn't; the second part is (presumably) true, but they seem to have thought, wrongly IMHO, that you were rebuilding the donor.

Good luck with the DVLA, though at the end of the day it may be a question of biting the bullet and getting the MOT done

FFTS - 9/3/10 at 12:40 PM

I had all of this with a buggy that was 2007 build, no mot for the first 18 months, had already been taxed 3 times WITHOUT mot and then suddenly "You need an MOT Mr Miller"

Why I asked.

"Because we say so"!!! and that was the end of the road with the DVLA

RichardK - 9/3/10 at 04:54 PM

Do the v112 thing, should be ok, its the date reg in the uk that's the important date.

Cheers

Rich

Humbug - 9/3/10 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Do the v112 thing, should be ok, its the date reg in the uk that's the important date.

Cheers

Rich

I don't think that can be right, can it? If you import a 5 year old car, for example, why should it be exempt from MOT for 3 years?

snapper - 9/3/10 at 06:58 PM

I have done a lot of emails to DVLA on this and other kit car matters.
The decision for MOT frequency whilst it should be 3 years from SVA/IVA can be earlier if the local DVLA office that you registered the car with decide so.
Its not fixed by Swansea but a local decision

craig1410 - 15/3/10 at 11:56 PM

I'm in the same situation here - my tax reminder says I need an MOT but the car is only just coming up to 1 year old and has only done about 300 miles...

I'm going to try taxing it online first and failing that I will try with my local post office using the V5 as proof of being less than 3 years old. However, does anyone know how this sits with the police assuming I can tax it online? Will I get pulled by a numberplate recognition system for not having an MOT? If so, will the production of my V5 satisfy the police that my car doesn't need an MOT?

Don't get me wrong, if I need to get an MOT then so be it but to be honest I don't believe an MOT will make my car any safer because I know it inside out myself and am not in the habit of turning a blind eye to anything even slightly substandard.

Thanks,
Craig.

wicket - 16/3/10 at 08:07 AM

Mine has age related plate based on the engine/gearbox donor and the V5 says

Date of first reg: ??/08/1980
Date of first reg in the UK 19/06/2006

Registered as a Luego and on the front I have the following note:

Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new

1st MOT required 1st January last year. Never asked for MOT before that either taxing on line or at the post office.

[Edited on 16/3/10 by wicket]

MautoK - 24/3/10 at 06:21 PM

My MK is up for tax renewal at the end of March. SVA was March 2009 so this is the first renewal attempt.
I received the form from the DVLA a week or so back and today had a shot at renewing online.
From the horror stories I've heard I was anticipating grief re. MoT requirements BUT it all went as smooth as you like. I just await Dave the Postie bringing the new disc.
So I'm a happy bunny!

craig1410 - 2/4/10 at 01:57 PM

I just got my tax from the local post office with no hassle at all. Just went down there with V5 and Insurance. He asked if I had an MOT and I pointed out it was less than 3 years old and he just said okay, 6 months or 12? No need for form V112 which I had with me just in case I was asked.

Job done.

I've also asked my insurance underwriter what their take on this is because my biggest concern is the underwriter not covering me in the event of a claim because I don't have an MOT. My insurance wording says something like - Insurance invalid if the law says I need an MOT and I don't have one. What exactly "the law" is with regards to MOT's when VOSA say they are not required for 3 years is debatable. However, someone posted an excerpt from the Road Traffic Act 1988 and it basically said that you didn't need an MOT for 3 years.

Anyway, having road tax is better than not having it and is probably no worse than the last 12 months during which technically I had no MOT either.