Board logo

OT tintop - possible to set camber/tyre wear?
Hadders - 31/1/13 at 08:18 PM

We have a 2003 Renault Megane. The nearside front tyre is wearing on the outside edge of the tread so I'm thinking the camber is too positive. However, there doesn't seem to be any adjustment available for this. Is this normal? Looking at the suspension, it seems all I can adjust is toe via the TRE's. If so then is it reasonable to assume that the tyre wear is due to worn bushes in the wishbones? The car has done 120,000 miles and would definitely benefit from new front dampers, so maybe the strut top bushes need replacing too?

Any thoughts/similar experiences from the collective?

TiA

Ben

bashracing - 31/1/13 at 08:38 PM

could it not be just toeing in?

Mark Allanson - 31/1/13 at 08:39 PM

LHF outer edge wear on tyres is usually due to energetic use of roundabouts rather any geometry issues, especially with 4x4's

Mark Allanson - 31/1/13 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bashracing
could it not be just toeing in?

Out of toe would affect both tyres equally

daviep - 31/1/13 at 09:03 PM

Worn bottom ball joint would be the simplest explanation, have you checked it for play?

Cheers
Davie

britishtrident - 31/1/13 at 09:03 PM

Because they roll more than most Renualts do tend to wear the outer edges of the front tyre heavily, daughters Nissan Note which is really a Renault wearing a kimono eats front tyres and as already mention entering roundabouts fast puts a lot of load on the outer edge of the the left front.

1 Check wishbone bushes and ball joints and track rods.
2 Check for broken or sagging spring ---- check front and rear springs
3 Check set toe-in in the as normally loaded condition --- setting to just on the toe-in side of parallel gives minimum wear

I can really recommend a Gunson Trackrite (driver over type) for accurately setting the toe-in.

rusty nuts - 31/1/13 at 09:11 PM

A very large proportion of modern cars wear the outside edge of the N/S/F tyre, as already suggested it is due to roundabouts . Years ago it was common to change the wheels around when servicing a car to equalise tyre wear

Hadders - 31/1/13 at 09:59 PM

Its the wife's car, so i can only assume she is taking roundabouts at 10 tenths!

We've had two new springs on the rear in the last two years and new drop links and TREs in the front, so I'm thinking lower wishbone bush maybe a bit knackered too. I ask as having replaced tyre on NSF the new one is wearing in the same way within a couple of months. Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more checks.

Cheers

Ben