Board logo

Lightweight Sierra Uprights
coozer - 4/11/08 at 01:18 PM

Is there a lightweight direct replacement upright that will fit on the standard Sierra bones?

Just spotted these.. any good?

McGill Motorsports

Steve

[Edited on 4/11/08 by coozer]

Paul TigerB6 - 4/11/08 at 01:24 PM

Raceleda ones from MNR?? Do they still do them??

oldtimer - 4/11/08 at 01:27 PM

No, they don't. Put up a request on here - I got lucky that way.

StevieB - 4/11/08 at 03:04 PM

I know Raceleda used to do them (after MNR took over) but stoppped when MNR decided they weren't doing any Sierra geometry cars anymore. I think that was a mistake as it excludes sales to everyone building sierra based cars (which is probably quite a lote of people by now!).

I'd looked at the McGill items before, but I'm not sure how you'd go about fitting them to the ball joint - they appear more the sort of thing you'd need to build specfic wishbones for.

I would love to know if/where you can get lightweight uprights though, as I want a set myself.

l0rd - 4/11/08 at 03:56 PM

get a normal set of uprights, just use solid disks and calipers. Loose the extra weight from these i would say.

D Beddows - 4/11/08 at 04:02 PM

I'm with him ^^ - but I'll add alloys hubs too. If you want to say 'I'd like some better looking sierra geometry uprights' then fair enough because they are seriously ugly things! but I'm willing to bet that 98% of people wouldn't be able to tell the handling difference made by loosing 2 or 3kg from each upright......

StevieB - 4/11/08 at 04:33 PM

Depends if you're already using billet calipers and smaller discs and still looking for a weight saving...

I don't think you can get alloy hubs for sierra fitment, but I'd be more than hapy to find out otherwise (and where to buy from )

D Beddows - 4/11/08 at 04:49 PM

Well there you go! - you learn something every day Is there a technical reason you can't have alloy sierra hubs (are they integral to the upright?) or it it just a gaping hole in the market?

StevieB - 4/11/08 at 05:03 PM

I think it's a gaping hole in the market (alng with lightweight uprights).

You can get alloy bearing carriers for the rear, but the hubs still need to be the heavy sierra type (something to do with the internally splined bit being a bit impossible to machine properly).

Not sure why you can;t get front hubs - the raceleda upright used the cortina alloy upright converted to sierra geometry.

jollygreengiant - 4/11/08 at 06:01 PM

If you look carefully at the pictures, you will note that you would need a different lower arm arrangement due to the nature of the bottom ball joint / swivel arrangement on the units. . They are not a 'direct' replacement.

dave1888 - 4/11/08 at 06:38 PM

On the subject of lightening the weight at the front i was thinking of going for a set of wilwood calipers but dont know which ones are these any good
linky

Worzey - 4/11/08 at 06:56 PM

I got those Wilwood calipers.

They transformed the braking and the handling so are highly reccommended.

You can feel the weight saving without question. The best thing I've done to the car so far.

[Edited on 4-11-2008 by Worzey]

jamie1107 - 11/11/08 at 01:58 PM

as far as im aware rally designs still do sierra and cortina light weight uprights

designer - 11/11/08 at 02:12 PM

Those McGill uprights seem to have a difference KPI to the standard Sierra

designer - 11/11/08 at 03:58 PM

£40 cheaper; Ebay robbers.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jeffrey.baldwin/suspension.htm

designer - 11/11/08 at 11:24 PM

Certainly not a direct substitute.