Board logo

Interior bodywork panels- what material?
James - 29/9/08 at 06:03 PM

Finally made a decision... now a question.

When I originally built my car I paneled the interior. I made these panels from ali covered in vinyl. Looked really good.... for about 5minutes!
Then the heat of the summer got to the glue and the vinyl had peeled off the ali and it looks a right mess!

I've removed them now, but having had a good look at all the interiors of the cars at Newlands yesterday I've decided I want them back.

So, I'm wondering what backing to make the panels from such that the vinyl will stick well (hardboard? fibreboard), what glue I should use, and what I should do to make the backing waterproof (if necessary)!

The same goes for the tunnel panels really. Presumably they need to be really waterproof as I imagine the inside of the tunnel gets very wet!
Would waterproof PVA do the job sufficiently?

Thanks!

James

coozer - 29/9/08 at 06:11 PM

Panels on my MNR are carbon look plastic sheet with the tunnel being in fibreglass.

Surrey Dave - 29/9/08 at 06:15 PM

Mine are ally with vinyl evostick - ed to it , I can't see any sign of peeling yet.

Did you tuck it over the edges when you glued yours , so it is clamped behind the panel

Check mine on my website at: www.locostcar.co.uk

oldtimer - 29/9/08 at 06:23 PM

Do it again but with contact adhesive. If it looked good then change the glue, do it again and it will look good again.

James - 29/9/08 at 06:31 PM

I used Screwfix's spray glue.

Stuck like sh!t to a blanket at first. But it didn't like the heat. (Or the smoothness of the ali which I should perhaps have 'roughened/keyed' in the first place.)

I can't remember if I folded it around the back... I think I did. If I'd used summat other than ali I'd have stapeled it at the back to be doubly sure!

[Edited on 29/9/08 by James]

Surrey Dave - 29/9/08 at 06:44 PM

Rescued attachment intpanelvinyl.jpg
Rescued attachment intpanelvinyl.jpg

Hammerhead - 29/9/08 at 06:49 PM

I'm going to use alcantara fabric. I have upholstery glue so it should be ok. If it goes to poop i will re do it in carbon fibre

trextr7monkey - 29/9/08 at 07:17 PM

Get some blac ABS - leather grain effect, lovely to work and fine on small areas can belly in huge panels but will be spot on for your application

James - 29/9/08 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
Get some blac ABS - leather grain effect, lovely to work and fine on small areas can belly in huge panels but will be spot on for your application

Where would one get that sort of thing?

Cheers,
James

myke pocock - 29/9/08 at 07:45 PM

I used 5mm Foamalux which is a foamed PVC if memory serves me well. Easy to cut and shape and the edges can be rounded over to keep Mr SVA happy. Fixed mine with stainless raised head screws in stainless screw cups into nut inserts in the chassis tubes.

trextr7monkey - 29/9/08 at 09:54 PM

Somewhere like this :
http://www.technologysupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?RANDOM=NETQUOTEVAR%3ARANDOM&PAGE=SEARCH&SS=abs+sheet&TB=A&GB=A&SX=0&AC TION=Search

but cheaper stuff on e bay and from plastic sheet suppliers , if you hunt around locally you may be able to source off cuts from factories making dash boards and trimpanels for trains and coaches etc but much of the stuff is now recyled. There are previous threads about the best source of carbon fibre look a like materials

Jos Fury - 5/10/08 at 10:20 AM

I took polycarbonate and used bisontix to glue the skai onto it. thin polycarbonate sheeting kan also be bent quite easily.

[Edited on 5/10/08 by Jos Fury]