Board logo

Hinging bonnet on scuttle...
speedyxjs - 18/11/10 at 09:19 AM

... has anyone ever done it? If so, i would love to see some pics as i am thinking about doing that with mine

matt_gsxr - 18/11/10 at 10:27 AM

robinhoods do that I believe. Can't find a suitable image though.

Stott - 18/11/10 at 11:09 AM

It's called their "alligator" bonnet, the scuttle looks like it lifts as well:

YQUSTA - 18/11/10 at 11:13 AM

I wouldn't do it.

Just think what is going to happen should the bonnet lift at the front, the only place for it to go is into your face. Not nice IMO.

speedyxjs - 18/11/10 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
I wouldn't do it.

Just think what is going to happen should the bonnet lift at the front, the only place for it to go is into your face. Not nice IMO.

Oh, didnt think of that!

May have to do some rethinking. Thanks anyway guys

Benzine - 18/11/10 at 11:29 AM

Lambo door style bonnet?

Howlor - 18/11/10 at 11:53 AM

Hinge from the front to a vertical position? Or cut it in arf and a pair of leather straps around it?!

Steve

Blackbird Rush - 18/11/10 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
It's called their "alligator" bonnet, the scuttle looks like it lifts as well:

Nice! so what happens if you have the roof up and need to stop and look under the bonnet.....

David Jenkins - 18/11/10 at 01:59 PM

I've seen a Robin Hood that had a bonnet hinged at the front - the only reason I remember it is that he'd used an inertia seatbelt as a retaining strap!

It worked very well, and gave clear access to the engine bay. I don't remember where the hinge was, as the nose didn't contact the road when the bonnet was up.

Canada EH! - 18/11/10 at 03:58 PM

Having had a rear mounted Frog Eye Sprite bonnet come up and over on me years ago, not a good idea.
There were two dents in one of the light pots when I pulled the bonnet back down, one from the single roll hoop behind my head and the othe from my head.
Don't do it.

Mave - 18/11/10 at 07:02 PM

Standard practice on RCB SeventySeven

montythemole - 15/12/10 at 03:10 PM

The Dutton does this which is great for access but you need a fair bit of room to lay it down:

See no reason why a rear hinged bonnet would be an issue, use some bonnet pins and it's safer than any modern car?