Board logo

Bonnet ventilation
Jos Fury - 28/3/08 at 12:04 PM

Hello,
Maybe another newbie question for youse guys but using the search option I could not find anything appropriate. ( maybe due to my english I did not use the right words for the search )

Well to get some hot air out from under the bonnet, especially from the exhaust side I am looking for a neat solution to solve this. Could make some nice holes and than ? Just put some mesh behind them and how.
Some pics would be nice if possible of course.
Thanks again
Jos

BenB - 28/3/08 at 12:08 PM

One option is to use the STM (now Aries) bonnet- they have vents in the sides near the back as standard.

Otherwise a Caterinvan vented bonnet's a good option (if it will fit).

You can also either make some louvres (if your bonnet is ali) or buy GRP vents that you can stick in place...

BenB - 28/3/08 at 12:09 PM

Hellfire - 28/3/08 at 12:11 PM

Heres ours;

[img][/img]

Mr Whippy - 28/3/08 at 12:13 PM

Personally I like the round holes and other shapes with the mesh behind, suits the car style well.

BenB - 28/3/08 at 12:19 PM

Car builder solutions do quite a few....

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/body-vents-and-scoops-112-c.asp

They even do ones with side-repeaters...

neilj37 - 28/3/08 at 12:27 PM

I added a vent to the nose cone which has helped reduce the under bonnet temps:

Mr Whippy - 28/3/08 at 01:02 PM

never even noticed that Car builders were now doing online ordering. A sad day for my card

Humbug - 28/3/08 at 01:25 PM

I put ali louvre vents in the rear sides of the ali bonnet - similar position to the ST/Aries ones

mark chandler - 28/3/08 at 01:42 PM

Old school, louves in ali bonnet

Made a simple stamper from scrap, cut slots and bashed them in so proper locost = free

Rescued attachment smalllouves.JPG
Rescued attachment smalllouves.JPG

02GF74 - 28/3/08 at 01:51 PM

make a hole and bolt/rivet on some aluminium louvre panel from B&Q.

carb view
carb view

Mr Whippy - 28/3/08 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Old school, louves in ali bonnet

Made a simple stamper from scrap, cut slots and bashed them in so proper locost = free

quite impressed with that, nice job

stevec - 28/3/08 at 02:37 PM

Rover ones.
Steve.

lotustwincam - 28/3/08 at 07:34 PM

Description
Description

Jos Fury - 28/3/08 at 08:33 PM

thanx !
quite some options to choose from and some very nice ones. I like the diversity too
well, I got myself some stainless mesh at work and found some alu black "standard racing mesh" in the shed so lets think something out. like to have some bonnet ventilation on top of the bonnet. just in front of the window, but a lot of water will find its way ( got my coil pack there somewhere ).
think I will go for three ventilation slots left and right, each side of the bonnet. its grp so i can simplu make some nice slots and put the mesch behind, but maybe it can be done a bit better. since the color of my car is yelloww:

I can have some aluminium lasercutted or stainless but want to keep it low profile.
mmm... how to go ahead.
( because of the colour even thought about putting a chiquita banana sticker on the back )
@neilj37, what did you do to get the holes so nicely finished ? some kind of "piping"?
( do not know what this is called )
cheers
jos

[Edited on 28/3/08 by Jos Fury]

zetec - 29/3/08 at 08:00 AM

More of the same..

scutter - 29/3/08 at 08:48 PM

Here's mine, stamped by kool lourves. Cost half of Uncle Ron's budget
ATB Dan.

bonnet pic
bonnet pic

Jos Fury - 30/3/08 at 09:04 AM

Tanks again.
I like the louvres too, but my bonnet is not aluminium unfortunately. think I'm gonna keep it simple and just go zetecs way or alike. How to fix the mesh ? For the nose I used what we cal "kit" and a few very thin tyraps.
( hellfires louvres are great too )
did not know of the http://www.cbsonline.co.uk site. nice site.

Hellfire - 30/3/08 at 09:15 AM

Just use PU Adhesive to bond the mesh to the underside of the fibreglass.

Phil

Jos Fury - 31/3/08 at 08:47 AM

ok ! thanx.