Board logo

Insuring a garaged/track only car
thefreak - 30/6/11 at 10:35 AM

So, I'm SORN-ing the MX5 today as it's only going to be used on the track. I've got a trailer to get to and from the track so it doesn't need to be insured for the road... but I do want it insured when it's in the garage and when it's on the trailer.
Is there such a policy, and if so who can offer it?

Steve Hignett - 30/6/11 at 10:43 AM

I think there's a Laid-up policy?

Or How about just ringing round for the cheapest policy that only includes theft and Zero mileage?

blakep82 - 30/6/11 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I think there's a Laid-up policy?

Or How about just ringing round for the cheapest policy that only includes theft and Zero mileage?

that would only insure it for theft from the garage wouldn't it? not, for example, if it was stolen with the trailer while out with it (although you'll never really be far away from it while out with it on a trailer)

think it comes more under competition car insrance then doesn't it?

laid up insurance certainly would cover it in your garage though

thefreak - 30/6/11 at 10:49 AM

I've currently got it insured on a multicar policy through Admiral which is £400+ a year.
The options are:
Leave it
Cancel it and get a refund, then get a new policy somewhere else for less (the difference goes towards the trailer hopefully)
Cancel it and dont insure it

indykid - 30/6/11 at 10:55 AM

I'd imagine richard egger ( REIS ) should be able to do something very competitive for you

dhutch - 30/6/11 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by indykid
I'd imagine richard egger ( REIS ) should be able to do something very competitive for you

Never used REIS, but richard is certainly a very decent and honest talking bloke.

Is is jsut theft cover you want (garage and or transit), or damage-in-transit too?

lsdweb - 30/6/11 at 03:17 PM

David Auden / Rally Car Insurance will probably sort you out. Nice people and car mad :--)

Regards
wyn

ShaunB - 30/6/11 at 04:08 PM

You are looking for "Transport and Storage" insurance, a few companies offer it, REIS, Competition Car Ins, etc.

Shaun.

P ? - 30/6/11 at 06:48 PM

footman james 43quid a year insured for garaged & transporting valued at 8k

T66 - 8/9/11 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
David Auden / Rally Car Insurance will probably sort you out. Nice people and car mad :--)

Regards
wyn

I second David Auden - friendly, they even have people who answer the phone and talk to you......

JoelP - 8/9/11 at 08:23 PM

when its on a trailer being towed, isnt it covered by the tow cars policy?

If so, id just ensure the garage is secure and save the money.

Nick DV - 10/9/11 at 12:26 PM

IIRC REIS quoted me around £160 for in garage, accidental damage, fire, theft, transport to/from track and theft and damage whilst out and about. Can't remember if that included the trailer.

Cheers, Nick