Board logo

Quick poll - which magazine to subscribe to for my dads christmas present?
GBaggott - 17/12/09 at 08:56 PM

I was thinking of getting my dad a kit car magazine subscription for christmas. I'm not sure which is the best or if I have forgot any off the list.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Cheers Gareth

Steve G - 17/12/09 at 09:01 PM

Can we have an option for none of the above?? I find Practical Performance Car best for car builder related stuff and the Kit Car press best for adverts!!

On a more serious nature - whats your dad's interest in kit cars? Something general to read with the write-ups etc, or as a genuine builder??

GBaggott - 17/12/09 at 09:07 PM

you're right, the ones I have read are just full of ads!!

He is a genuine builder - I've built with him a MK, Mac 1 and MNR. I think his interests are now on new kits and the next possible build.

Steve Hignett - 17/12/09 at 09:14 PM

I'm afraid I wouldn't subscribe to a KC mag either, it's either repeats or adverts... OK, so maybe a bit harsh, but when I pivk one up in a newsagents every now and again, it just seems to be the same as the last one I read...

CCC?
PPC?

liam.mccaffrey - 17/12/09 at 09:14 PM

I sub to PPC and Racecar Engineering. Highly recommended

tomgregory2000 - 17/12/09 at 09:21 PM

PPC

balidey - 17/12/09 at 09:23 PM

Razzle.

What? Someone had to suggest it

Steve G - 17/12/09 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Razzle.

You have a lifetime subscription then I guess??

blakep82 - 17/12/09 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Razzle.

aww, booo! i was going to say that!

jacko - 17/12/09 at 09:38 PM

PPC for me
Jacko

ashg - 17/12/09 at 09:51 PM

ckc for me. no repeats as far as i am aware.

GBaggott - 17/12/09 at 10:10 PM

Thanks everyone - CKC seems to be winning.

I think Ill check ou ppc for myself.

britishtrident - 17/12/09 at 10:14 PM

MotorSport -- the best read of any car magazine in the english langauge.

wilkingj - 17/12/09 at 10:23 PM

Kit car mags are full of repeats and adverts.

I buy Practical Performance Car mostly. and stand read the others in the shop, or flick thru and only buy if its realy interesting.

Best thing is to get him on here!... Far more useful for him.

trextr7monkey - 17/12/09 at 10:56 PM

Worst money I ever regret spending was a sub to CKC high on ads low on useful content, thinly veiled articles that were glorified ads. Don't make the mistake yourself!

We subscribe to Classic Ford - fantastic mag - mix of old and new as people push old style cars to the limits with modern running gear and enough technical input to help others to get something useful out of the mag too, also some beautifully restored cars.
Other sub is Private Eye every fortnight , helps to keep in touch with the real real world but ( fortunately) low on kit car content!!
atb
Mike

Chippy - 17/12/09 at 11:08 PM

PPC for me, and no repeats in the three years I have been taking it, trouble is I go through it in about three days, Cheers Ray

skodaman - 17/12/09 at 11:16 PM

Kerrang or Practical Fishkeeping

skodaman - 17/12/09 at 11:17 PM

Kerrang or Practical Fishkeeping

keithice - 18/12/09 at 05:30 AM

+1 for private eye

alistairolsen - 18/12/09 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I sub to PPC and Racecar Engineering. Highly recommended

snap

coozer - 18/12/09 at 09:02 AM

Sub for PPC has just expired, was getting a bit bored of it.. new sub is for Total Off Road.

Free gift was a nice Fruit of the Loom Polo shirt, real good quality compared to some of the T shirts I've had in the past.

And, along with the subscription, as Mike said, I buy ClassicFord every month from the Tescos.. then sometimes FastFord if theres any interesting tech features, still waiting for the pics and description of my MNR from a meeting with the FF photographer

Thumbing through the KC mags in the shops I find them to be crap compared the ones I buy.

bimbleuk - 18/12/09 at 09:06 AM

Another vote for PPC magazine unless the kit car mags have radically changed!

pewe - 18/12/09 at 10:26 AM

If it isn't too late either Private Eye ^ or Classic and Sportscar.

If I know anything about gentlemen of your dad's age (being there myself) those are the two I'd go for, with PPC as close third (sorry Will it's an age thing!)
HTH
Cheers, Pewe

geoff shep - 18/12/09 at 10:44 AM

I get Car Mechanics. Not quite kit car specific but it does cover a good selection of motoring stuff. (There is actually to be another kit article next month)

mcerd1 - 18/12/09 at 11:40 AM

another one for PPC (same reasons as above)

its not really surprising that there are so many PPC votes for PPC, half the folk on there forum are here as well

Jos Fury - 18/12/09 at 02:11 PM

PPC

Daddylonglegs - 17/7/11 at 11:47 AM

My votes for CKC but TKC gets a second vote.

BTW, what's Razzle?

coozer - 17/7/11 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
My votes for CKC but TKC gets a second vote.

BTW, what's Razzle?

HERE...

[Edited on 17/7/11 by coozer]