Board logo

decision's
car builder - 13/3/10 at 05:36 PM

Hi all, i havent posted for a long time but i need some impartial advice.

Iam working as a field service engineer at the moment which i don't like, crap working conditions and rubbish company, i have been offered a job at a volvo dealership, better money, less hours, close to home and back into a workshop.

i have also been offered a second interview with audi in a state of the art workshop, its not as much money and about an hours drive but i love the cars and the workshop and have about 8 years audi experiance.

what would you do???

cheers, james.

TigerB6 Paul - 13/3/10 at 05:41 PM

Go to the interview at the Audi dealership and if offered it then try and push the package up to match the offer you have. Nothing better than having options thats for sure!!

iank - 13/3/10 at 05:45 PM

Do you need to make a decision before the interview at Audi?

Personally I'd get some volvo experience on my CV, but it's a hard one to call, probably depends how much less money (including travelling costs) and whether adding 10+ hours travelling a week is worth that aggravation.

Congratulations on getting out of a job you seem to hate either way

[Edited on 13/3/10 by iank]

rusty nuts - 13/3/10 at 05:51 PM

Where are you going to be happiest working? Money isn't everything although it helps

car builder - 13/3/10 at 06:11 PM

iam waiting to hear from audi, he rang me last week about wanting a second interview but not herd anythink yet, had the first interveiw in november?? not sure where i would be happy, volvo looked more laid back and the 39 hour week sound good with plenty of overtime, but i do love audi's. it is always good to get more paper work for the cv.

before people say it i know iam lucky to have a job at the moment with the way the country is, but when your not happy you have to look else where.

[Edited on 13/3/10 by car builder]

matt_claydon - 13/3/10 at 06:43 PM

Volvo job every time, 2 hrs commute every day really eats into your personal/social life. Alternatively spend those 10hrs doing overtime each week and your salary will be 25% + higher.

[Edited on 13/3/10 by matt_claydon]

AndyW - 13/3/10 at 07:01 PM

I started new job this january after 6 years with previous company. As you say were lucky to have work but if your not happy then the only one who can do anything about it is you! good luck with decision......

Simon - 13/3/10 at 09:46 PM

I agree with Matt, but then I wouldn't work for a german co on principle. Come to that, I'd struggle to walk into their premises

ATB

Simon

matt_gsxr - 14/3/10 at 12:23 AM

I don't know any details of your jobs, but its always worth thinking of how the organisation as a whole is doing.

For example:
Audi are presently very profitable (generating 85% of the profit for the whole VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda group).

Volvo is presently undergoing a change of ownership, probably being sold to a Chinese company who hope to make it profitable.

I don't know how these things might affect your jobs, but its always better/easier to work for a profitable company.

Matt

p.s. I used to have a truly excellent job for Marconi!

Steve Hignett - 14/3/10 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I agree with Matt, but then I wouldn't work for a german co on principle. Come to that, I'd struggle to walk into their premises

ATB

Simon

Why?

kipper - 14/3/10 at 10:52 AM

they bombed our chip shop
Denis

car builder - 18/3/10 at 07:50 PM

many thanks for all you thoughts, much appreciated, i have taken the volvo job, handed my notice in on tuesday. lets hope its the right decision.

eddie99 - 18/3/10 at 07:58 PM

Im sure you've made the correct decision, have fun at Volvo!!!

iank - 18/3/10 at 09:22 PM

Good luck