Board logo

Recommend me a Garage Door Opener
Ben_Copeland - 28/5/13 at 07:44 PM

I'm looking to buy a garage door opener for my new garage. Its got a canopy door, so need an adapter as well

Currently looking at Champerlain Liftmasters and Hormann openers, but would like peoples experiences.

Thanks

stevebubs - 28/5/13 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I'm looking to buy a garage door opener for my new garage. Its got a canopy door, so need an adapter as well

Currently looking at Champerlain Liftmasters and Hormann openers, but would like peoples experiences.

Thanks

Recommended Brand: Ben_Copeland

/ducks and leaves the building/

[Edited on 28/5/13 by stevebubs]

steve m - 28/5/13 at 08:09 PM

My wife ???

but trust me, you would wish, you hadnt bothered !!

andy350z - 28/5/13 at 08:28 PM

This one seems to work well http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

Ben_Copeland - 28/5/13 at 08:30 PM

Wife is a definate no no and it saves me getting out the car to open door then get back in.

I've always promised myself an opener and I'm getting one!

Ben_Copeland - 28/5/13 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andy350z
This one seems to work well http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

Too expensive and it constantly broken!

perksy - 28/5/13 at 08:41 PM

Neighbour has one and its like watching paint dry

Its that slow you could have parked the car, got in the house and had a brew before his garage door is opened and closed

It wasn't cheap either iirc

Barkalarr - 28/5/13 at 11:00 PM

Mine are made by cardale - it's a little unit which is mounted about knee height on the LHS of each door if you're looking from the front. They weren't cheap either - about £800 for the pair a few years ago.
We had to have this particular style because of the door already on the garage - apparently (according to SWMBO who arranged the install) we couldn't have the one that sits in the roof on a chain because of the type of doors we already had - they had to be the cardale ones which you crack your leg on when you try and get past them.

They are quiet but the buttons on the remote have now worn out and don't work, then the batteries in the remote run out and you can't get spares, then you have to push the remote button a couple of times before the door goes up and down because of the contacts on the remote... all in all they're pretty crap and I wouldn't recommend the ones we have.

When you get it, pay for a couple of extra remotes and get a switch in the house which will open them too. We can only open ours from the remote and this is why they have worn out.

Phil.J - 29/5/13 at 07:03 AM

The one on our installation is a Stanley Premier (as in Stanley Tools). Been fitted for about 25 years now and has never given a moments trouble. Works from a remote in the car, a key switch on the outside of the garage, and a push putton on the inside of the garage.

ken555 - 29/5/13 at 08:42 AM

We have a Liftmaster opener.

Again it has 2 x remotes, wired with normal door bell pushes in the garage to open door, can also have IR sensors if you have kids that run through the closing gaps, and can cope with doors in doors if needed.

Ben_Copeland - 29/5/13 at 06:36 PM

Been watching a liftmaster too

Its a bit of a mine field, dont want a super cheap one as it'll break but cant justify £500

yellowcab - 29/5/13 at 06:44 PM

I'm glad you posted this up - as I'm currently debating the same thing.

I also want smooth, quiet, fairly quick action - but can't justify £800+

Ben_Copeland - 29/5/13 at 07:02 PM

Olly,

Chamberlain LIFTMASTER LM60 Garage Door Opener/Operator (like Hormann Promatic) | eBay

Thats the first one i looked at. Belt driven so quieter.

But i think it maybe a little underpowered

[Edited on 29/5/13 by Ben_Copeland]

yellowcab - 29/5/13 at 07:08 PM

How come you're not going for that bud?

Ben_Copeland - 29/5/13 at 07:15 PM

I still might, but i watching some others on ebay which are better but unsure on the price they'll go for.

Ben_Copeland - 29/5/13 at 07:16 PM

Plus i need £70 worth of canopy adapter too