Board logo

Courier 'Insurance'???
scootz - 30/5/13 at 01:00 PM

This one's been bugging me for years! I just don't get it!

You pay for them to deliver your goods, but then you have to pay extra for insurance in case THEY lose it or break it!!! Bizzare!

Aaron_n_Sim - 30/5/13 at 01:07 PM

Hi,

I use www.interparcel.com the 1st £50 insurance is included in the price, then it goes up gradually dependant on value, I think its an extra £2 for £51-£500 cover!

Their delivery prices are good too!

Aaron

[Edited on 30/5/13 by Aaron_n_Sim]

scootz - 30/5/13 at 01:15 PM

Cheers Aaron. Interparcel are my usual first port-of-call too.

I just think it's incredible that you can send something that's perhaps worth £500 and you're expected to pay £5 on top of the delivery fee to cover THEM against losing it! My common-sense-o-meter tells me that if you declare the value and they subsequently lose it, then they should compensate you adequately (without you having had to pay extra for their potential incompetence!).

Aaron_n_Sim - 30/5/13 at 01:24 PM

I couldn't agree more, nowt wrong with your commonsense-o-meter

r1_pete - 30/5/13 at 01:30 PM

I always use it for higher value items, especially when shipping abroad.

I do wonder if you get the premium back if they loose the parcel, like you do the shipping cost.

It is a liberty though, effectively transferring the risk of loss to an insurer, and charging the sender.

Phil.J - 30/5/13 at 04:37 PM

I think if you want comprehensive cover included in the basic price, then the prices would be higher. It's as simple as that.

Aaron_n_Sim - 30/5/13 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I think if you want comprehensive cover included in the basic price, then the prices would be higher. It's as simple as that.

oh I agree, but it doesn't make it right that you pay incase THEY F**K up is our point!

thanks

Aaron

scootz - 30/5/13 at 05:23 PM

^^^Yup^^^

Ninehigh - 30/5/13 at 07:37 PM

Most proper couriers would have Goods In Transit and liability insurance anyway so tbh I don't understand how that should be extra