Board logo

Trailer
austin man - 22/8/13 at 08:36 PM

Does a trailer have to be braked to tow a car ?? I am looking for a trailer to tow an Indy can anyone recomend what wed length and width is suitable as well please

Mark Allanson - 22/8/13 at 08:39 PM

Anything with a combined weight of 750kgs has to be braked

big_wasa - 22/8/13 at 08:44 PM

You also need a tow car that can tow an un-braked load of 750kg

one of the neatest ones ive seen.

Link

[Edited on 22/8/13 by big_wasa]

austin man - 22/8/13 at 08:53 PM

Think my T5 transporter should be okay as a towing vehicle, looking at Trailers obviously dont want to buy something I cant use legally

Dangle_kt - 22/8/13 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Does a trailer have to be braked to tow a car ?? I am looking for a trailer to tow an Indy can anyone recomend what wed length and width is suitable as well please

it depends on the weight of the car and trailer. My locost was under 500kg, and the trailer was under 250kg, so it was ok to be unbraked.

Braked is better though, especially on motorway slip roads - that can be quite an experience first time without a braked trailer!

Peteff - 23/8/13 at 08:21 PM

If you ever have to brake sharply with an unbraked trailer you can soon come to grief. It can lift the rear wheels of the towing vehicle off of the floor with very little effort and jackknife you in no time. I was a passenger in a Land Rover it happened to and the trailer came round and creased the side panel and they are rated to tow several tons braked.