Board logo

strange clutch question
jamie1107 - 8/11/08 at 12:47 PM

ok im building a cvh turbo 7 with a type 9 the problem i have is this
im using megasquirt and an efi cvh block which has the trigger on the back of the fly wheel hence i cant change it for the easier option of the 1.8 cvh sierra flywheel i also intend to put quite a bit of power through this clutch so im guessing the sierra clutch wouldnt be man enough anyway
so i intend to run a 220mm rsturbo clutch but you guessed it the splines are wrong in number and diameter
so my thinking was this if i have a 220mm rs turbo cover plate with a slightly smaller 200mm clutch in it would that work im thinking i would just get a ring of 10mm around the edge which isnt used or do i just junk that run a sierra set up and go for the less accurate trigger off the front pully
cheers guys

rusty nuts - 8/11/08 at 01:00 PM

The 1.8 CVH Sierras have the toothed wheel on the crank pulley and would be a source of ready made sensor and mounting. As for being less accurate???

Chippy - 8/11/08 at 05:49 PM

Dont know if it will fit, but you could try a diesel clutch, they are designed to take far more torque, worth a try. HTH Ray

ss1turbo - 10/11/08 at 09:46 PM

The Sierra clutch is 215mm - close enough? Splines will be right for the type 9 as well..

The Sierra front pulley is no less accurate - as long as you use the bottom cover to mount it as well. It's ally, so can be polished

jamie1107 - 11/11/08 at 02:09 PM

i was thinking i would have to make up a bottom pully with a 36-1 trigger wheel you see hence my concerns about acuracy but correct me if im wrong here i have two options

use a sierra sfi engine flywheel which has the trigger in the back of the flywheel

or use a sierra 1.8 bottom pully which has a trigger wheel built in ? with its bottom cover only thing is and this might sound stupid but does it fit the 1.6 efi turbo fiesta block ?
cheers guys

owelly - 11/11/08 at 08:04 PM

I used a plate from a derv Focus. It was 118mm and the correct splines. Some Galaxy dervs use the same clutch. I'll find a linky to National Clutches as they reconned one for me to make sure the overall dia was what I needed.

owelly - 11/11/08 at 08:04 PM

Fill your boots!!
http://www.national-auto.co.uk/cata.htm

jamie1107 - 12/11/08 at 01:49 PM

ah ha the galaxy has the 118mm with a spline of od 26 with 23 splines so theres .6 of a mm in it so with any luck if its nice and central thats .3 either side which should be ok
i couldnt find a focus one like that but my qh catalogue is a bit old
good luck with the next 999 challenge im asuming thats urs with the alfa lump in
maybe a couple of turbo s might help lol

owelly - 12/11/08 at 08:07 PM

Cheers, but more power is the last thing I need!!