Board logo

Duratec and Mazda Engines
flak monkey - 8/2/09 at 02:17 PM

Is the duratec and mazda MZR 2 litre identical?

I know the duratec is a mazda engine... but are they abosolutely identical?

Cheers,
David

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/2/09 at 02:23 PM

Mazda and Ford do quite a bit of business together in other country's under the same banner.
So I would expect them to cross populate engine bays with each companys product/designs

Ford used vw for a galaxy seat people carrier just recently

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samcor

Paul TigerB6 - 8/2/09 at 02:24 PM

Seems the Mazda version has Variable Valve Timing so more power

link to Wikipedia

Hope thats of help

flak monkey - 8/2/09 at 02:37 PM

Scrap that idea then...

Clicky

David

Werner Van Loock - 8/2/09 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Scrap that idea then...

Clicky

David

???? got any explanation, i'm missing it

flak monkey - 8/2/09 at 06:30 PM

You seem to be able to pick the mazda engine up cheaper than fords, but if they are different then its not worth it

matt_claydon - 8/2/09 at 06:42 PM

I would say the Mazda is the thinking man's choice as you're getting an almost identical but better engine and not paying the Ford premium, ever-present in the kitcar/modifying world.

K80RUM - 8/2/09 at 07:08 PM

Word has it that the *latest* Mazda variant is a better beast than the current Ford/Mazda Duratec.

Rumours abound that it's got a better crank, rods and pistons, and different porting to the current Duratec. Raceline currently have one that they're going to dissect but I know for a fact they haven't gotten around to it yet (or hadn't on Friday )

It cropped up in conversation here: http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=162062

If it's any use, I have a copy of the Ford/Mazda workshop assembly manual, it's available on the downloads page of my website. It's much more comprehensive than the Haynes one.

keith2lp - 8/2/09 at 07:19 PM

Hi

I have a duratec in my velocity and have also owned a Mazda 3 2.0L and the engines are identical. I beleive that it is only newer Mazdas that have varible valve timing. I you get a Mazda unit find out the equivalent Ford part number for anything you need as the prices are a lot less, eg drive belt Mazda £38 Ford £18.

flak monkey - 8/2/09 at 08:11 PM

I am honestly having trouble finding out which MZR engines had vvt... you'd think Mazda would shout about it wouldnt you?!

David

stevebubs - 8/2/09 at 08:48 PM

The way I read the Wiki, it's only the 3.0 V6s that were fitted with VVT....

stevebubs - 8/2/09 at 08:48 PM

quote:
I am honestly having trouble finding out which MZR engines had vvt... you'd think Mazda would shout about it wouldnt you?!

David

Not if they don't fit it...

flak monkey - 8/2/09 at 09:13 PM

The article on the actual MZR engine doesnt say which ones are fitted with VVT, it just says this

quote:
The MZR generation of engines feature a special long intake manifold for added torque, S-VT continuous variable valve timing. The DISI turbocharged MZR L3-VDT was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 3 consecutive years for 2006, 2007 and 2008.

As a catch all at the top of the page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

locost_bryan - 10/2/09 at 03:29 AM

Can hardly expect Ford and Mazda to fit the same versions, when Mazda had different versions of the 2.3 for the 3 and 6, and a different version of the 2.0 for the MX5.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Ford have different versions of the 2.0 in the Focus and Mondeo.

flak monkey - 10/2/09 at 06:10 PM

Looks like its the post 2006 engines which have vvt...

Cheers,
David

James - 10/2/09 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Looks like its the post 2006 engines which have vvt...

Cheers,
David

If the VVT is just switched on/off at a certain revs then one of the MS outputs could easily do it couldn't it?

Cheers,
James

flak monkey - 10/2/09 at 08:53 PM

Most likely yes. Its hydraulically controlled, presumbly theres a hydraulic valve which is electronically controlled somewhere along the line.