Board logo

brakes
hurf69 - 12/4/05 at 06:47 PM

hi all
prob wrong forum but no other on here.
right
i had a brake pipe leak but have taped it up.i undid the bleed niple on the caliper to get rid of any air but my brakes are still spongie and the fronts are lockin up
HELP!!!!!!!

clbarclay - 12/4/05 at 07:06 PM

If the break line is damaged then best bet is to replace it.

mookaloid - 12/4/05 at 07:13 PM

How can you tape up a brake pipe leak?

I'm scared

Please Hurf tell me you haven't tried this and actually driven the car on the road to test the brakes

Mark

hurf69 - 12/4/05 at 08:05 PM

the leak is in the braided hose .im hopefully replacing it tomoro if i can. all help appreciated
josh

mookaloid - 12/4/05 at 08:59 PM

I am pleased to hear it!

If you have never bled brakes before I would suggest that you enlist the help of someone that has - it's not too difficult but you don't want to get it wrong!

Cheers

Mark

pmc_3 - 12/4/05 at 10:29 PM

Taped up brake line

You've probably got the spongey pedal because air is getting in where there is the split in the hose, even if the fluid isnt leaking with the tape over it.

hurf69 - 13/4/05 at 01:20 PM

cheers all
whats involved in bleedin the brakes do i have to do both f&r or if just replacin front hose just the fronts .

nick205 - 13/4/05 at 03:03 PM

depends how your system is set up...

have you got a front/rear split or diagonal split?

IMHO having a second pair of hands is the best way of effectively bleeding the brake system.

HTH

Nick

hurf69 - 13/4/05 at 05:28 PM

i have two cylinders and a bias bar .
i can get a second pair of hands but we both hvae no clue. do i undo the bleed valves and push all fluid through til theres none left then rplace hose and push fluid through til squirtin out then do up valves.

he who dares ........................often gets hurt!!

RoadkillUK - 13/4/05 at 06:00 PM

A quick Google and THIS came up.

HTH

hurf69 - 13/4/05 at 06:04 PM

top man thanks
josh

britishtrident - 13/4/05 at 07:35 PM

Second time today I have posted this.

Bleeding brakes is the easiest job in the build but for many builders it seems to cause panic --- with a normal Ford Girling based brake systems pressure or vacumn bleeders only make more work -- ideed vacumn bleeders can draw more into the system.
With Teves master cylinders a pressure bleeder that presurises the master cylinder resevoir can be useful because Teves cylinders tend to draw in air on the return stroke.

(1) Prime the master cylinder before you start - slacken the unions on the master cylinder cover them with a rag (to catch fluid spray) fill with fluid and get an assistant to press the pedal down slowly and hold it down while you retighten the unions.
(2) With a front/rear split system bleed one circuit first -- usually the rear.
Top up the master cylinder open the nipple about 3/4 (or less) of turn fit the bleed tube and get your assistant to pump the pedal slowy down and very s-l-o-w-l-y up. give it 4 or 5 strokes then hold the pedal down on the last tighten the nipple and top up with fluid.
before moving on to the next cylinder
(3) Again follow step (2) for the front circuit
(4) Repeat steps (2) & (3)
(5) Test for a solid pedal if not firm check for leaks.

NS Dev - 14/4/05 at 10:21 AM

TAPED UP BRAKE LINE!!!!!!!!

Now I am in shock!

hmmm, a bit of tape will make a big difference with several thousand psi behind it..........NOT!

Sorry to comment but this is very worrying, suddenly SVA seems very comforting to have!!!!

tks - 14/4/05 at 12:20 PM

hahaha

how do you think that brakes work???

with HIGH pressure..

how do you think that tape can resist that??

i would double check your hole car before using it if you really thought that taping helps with brake leaks..

pff...

this is the worst story i have ever read..

if i was you buy a study book about cars / brakes / suspension etc..

because it can be vital for you.

TKS

hurf69 - 14/4/05 at 06:31 PM

cheers
it was factory buit so i dont have any idea on mechanics etc so hence i asked for help . i taped it up to stop the leak not to drive

billy - 14/4/05 at 07:04 PM

COR, lads your giving the chap a hard time, im sure hes not silly enuff to drive it like that

NS Dev - 14/4/05 at 08:41 PM

wasn't deliberately giving a hard time, just thinking that this is why SVA is necessary.