Board logo

Airbox
coozer - 8/11/07 at 08:41 PM

I want to put an airbox on my zetec/bike carb install and have figured that an airbox with BMC type filter feeding forced cold air from the front of the car is the way to go.

I like the look of the Pipercross box but not the price.

I reckon I can make one out of an old washing machine (the sides) but is the volume important.

If it has a side inlet will there be any discerning effect on the inlet trumpets along the length of the box?

If I make the box roughly the size of a foam filter dimensionally with a 75mmish inlet diameter will that be OK?

Steve

Eggy - 8/11/07 at 08:52 PM

I don't want to cut my bonnet or run a "squashed" foam filter so I'm currently working on a similar design - sort of turbo plenium(sp?) chamber fed from the front nose cone with a Vx Cavalier filter housing in the middle. (Sounds a mess but trust me!) I'll post some pictures next week when the tig welder has arrived.

DarrenW - 8/11/07 at 08:55 PM

Can you fit a washing machine under your bonnet Steve?

Have you taken a look at Jacko's air box?

jacko - 8/11/07 at 09:18 PM

Hi have a look in my photo archives under zx9r carbs my air box may help you just use a large pipe at the end of the box in place of the filters
Jacko

Confused but excited. - 8/11/07 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Have you taken a look at Jacko's air box?

coozer - 8/11/07 at 10:08 PM

Jacko's box there isn't what I have in mind.

I was thinking more about a box about the size of a sausage filter with a big inlet pointing towards the front.

Loads of room under my bonnet... although a washer will need a bulge.... DOH!

Dusty - 9/11/07 at 12:43 AM

I did this which sounds like what you are aiming for. Has been criticised as air velocity is greater past number one intake and the air may not make the turn in as easily as it will at number four intake. It may thus run richer on number one than on number four. I haven't a clue if this is significant or not. The under bonnet shape of a seven makes the airbox narrower at the front, the opposite of the ideal.

Can't see the pic but it's in my archive.

[Edited on 9/11/07 by Dusty]

Guinness - 9/11/07 at 08:04 AM

Jude Performance in Blaydon / Roadboy on here have an air box on their MNR. It goes towards the scuttle, where they have an ally box with the air filter in that. That is then fed through a duct in the bonnet. Looks a nice neat set up.

And gets away from the narrow at the front thing.

Perhaps a search through their photo archive might show it.

Cheers

Mike
nose
nose

[Edited on 9/11/07 by Guinness]

Jos Fury - 9/11/07 at 11:11 AM

I am making my airbox myself too. due to the space it gets a rather strange form.
was wondering about the fuel mixture of each cilinder too ? do not know if this is significant ?

jacko - 9/11/07 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hi have a look in my photo archives under zx9r carbs my air box may help you just use a large pipe at the end of the box in place of the filters
Jacko
Just like i said put a pipe in the end of the air box

coozer - 9/11/07 at 05:04 PM

Judes motor there is just what I'm after (for nothing!) but pointing forwards.

I think I have more room, Judes has a dry sump and sits much lower than mine but I'll reassess as I'm going along.

Just need to find that free washer now...

Cheers,
Steve

coozer - 11/11/07 at 03:08 PM

Here's my new airbox, just need to find a space for it under the bonnet Rescued attachment PB110003.JPG
Rescued attachment PB110003.JPG

r1_pete - 12/11/07 at 01:19 PM

Hope that airbox has the turbo spin option!!!
Seriously though, bike carbs are in the main designed to draw slightly pressurised still air form a chamber. End feeding like you describe is fine, and will provide the slight pressure when on the move, there will be no noticable pressure differential, it is the way I'm going too.
Take a look at the bogg bros site and the pic of the elan setup...
Rgds.
Pete.

Jos Fury - 17/11/07 at 05:27 PM

my airbox almost finished. got some more things to do but just details. started up the car today. next week finishing touch and than.. rolling road...