Board logo

First post/ ride height
Jackman - 29/6/08 at 05:49 PM

Hi all

i am building a bookish locost and was woundering what is a good chassis to ground clearence for our very bumpy british roads?

adithorp - 29/6/08 at 05:51 PM

Less than the width of your avatar!

adrian

BenB - 29/6/08 at 05:51 PM

Welcome!

You might want to reduce the size of that avatar It takes up half the screen!!!

The sump to ground clearance is the most important measurement. Usually the sump is the lowest bit of the car rather than the chassis.

Most people run about 100mm sump to ground clearance from my recollection of previous similar threads..... You can run less but it starts getting a bit scary going over speed bumps....

locoR1 - 29/6/08 at 05:56 PM

Welcome!

I've never seen one so big !!!!!!!!

philw - 29/6/08 at 06:00 PM

Typical American car, bigger than everybody elses.

Jackman - 29/6/08 at 06:34 PM

Sorry about that ! It was a tad on the large side. I will have to find another one thanks for the info BenB

DavidM - 29/6/08 at 06:39 PM

I run my car 6.25" rear and 5.5" front, I got these figures from a Westfield build manual. My sump is 1.75" below the bottom of the chassis rails. In nearly 4000 miles I've not had any problems with ground clearance, even over speedbumps.

I might lower the car a bout .25" in the near future, just to tempt fate.

David

mark chandler - 29/6/08 at 10:12 PM

Bottom of mine is completely flat, 4" front, 4,5" rear only dragged a few times.

Best way to set up is cut a couple of blocks of wood the height you want and shove them under the rails, tape measure is hard work !

alistairolsen - 30/6/08 at 06:49 AM

provided your sump doesnt stick down more than the average, what rake does everyone run, and what front ride height beneath the chassis rails? The front suspension geometry must have been concieved with a certain height in mind?